Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

St Helens v Warrington Wolves

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

Poll: St Helens v Warrington Wolves (23 member(s) have cast votes)

Who will win?

1. St Helens (10 votes [43.48%])

Percentage of vote: 43.48%

2. Warrington Wolves (13 votes [56.52%])

Percentage of vote: 56.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 no13benny

no13benny
  • Coach
  • 820 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:45 AM

Thoughts about the game here...if anyone knows how to sticky it, please do so!
Super League, Championship, the play-offs, Challenge Cup, and World Cup.
Http://www.freewebs.com/sltipping

#2 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 14,172 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 08:52 AM

We are better positioned to win at KR than ever before, but that means ###### all!

We look like we have a fit squad, which is crucial at this stage of the season, and I am excited about having Bridge back, although I would have preferred him to have had more than 1 first team game going into the playoffs.

I hope we do go all out for this one, as with Saints' injuries a loss here could stitch them up and they could even struggle against the likes of Hudds or Hull.

Of course this is all wishful thinking and they will win an epic battle!

I'll leave the catchphrase to sam.

#3 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,435 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:09 AM

How big is that monkey???

It's now or never for the Wires, fully fit squad (grix back in training, not quite ready)

Saints 22 Wires 42

Wires need to be ahead in this game going into the last quarter, before finishing Saints off.

Can't see anything but a Wires win (please shoot me down after 10PM friday)

On reflection on the last 2 games, all square on tries scored, goal kicking the difference, this time it will not matter.

Warrington must win, giving Saints a difficult route to the GF.

Just hoping for a good and honest game from all concerned.

Best Wishes to Saints fans (Surely its our time now wink.gif )

#4 bewareshadows

bewareshadows
  • Coach
  • 1,080 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 09:55 AM

The game at Warrington Saints had

Wellens,
Foster, Flannery,
Meli, Gardner,

Pryce, Moore,

Graham, Roby, Hargreaves,
Wilkin, Ashurst,
Magennis.

Replacements: Cunningham, Puletua, Clough, Emmitt

Playoff game is likely to be

Wellens,
Gardner, Gidley,
Foster, Meli

Lomax, Wilkin

Puletua , Cunningham, Graham,
Clough, Flannery,
Roby,

Replacements: Soliola, Hargreaves, Moore, Fasavalu

I'd say half back wise Wilkin is a better half back than Moore and Lomax or Smith if it comes to that is not too bad a replacement for Pryce. Forward wise we actually look alot stronger than we did against Warrington last time out, now we have with 6 big guys in the pack Graham, Puletua, Fasavalu, Clough, Hargreaves, Soliola.

I can't see us spreading the ball much with these guys, I think it wil be more a case of trying to get ontop of the Wire pack. Then short range tries as those where the tactics that almost worked against Leeds in the Semi final when we had no half backs. THis time at least we'll have smith or Lomax or possibley both. Not first choice but better than what we had against Leeds.

If wire could spread it wide they would probably be able to try and runit around the Saints, but luckily for us it's a home game.

This means narrower pitch reduces the advantage Wire have out wide, and a shorter pitch means it's easier to get over the half way line into an attacking posistion close to the line.

It's not ideal, but I think Saints will be far from easy beats, I actually think that Wire have had better oppertnities to beat the Saints.
Super League the only place in the world where people still believe that less competitors and a closed market to new competition will improve the quality of the product.

Even the Chinese and the Cubans gave up on these marxist principles years ago.

SL with a reduced number of competitors and a closed market = North Korea.

#5 FullFat

FullFat
  • Players
  • 64 posts

Posted 09 September 2010 - 10:34 AM

Winning at Saints? Wow that would be good but I agree with bewareshadows we have had better opportunities in the past, at least on paper. But I do think that the Wire side now has a different feel about it than even the games earlier in the season. The win at Wembley has boosted confidence and the squad bar one player is fully fit.

I'm going for a Wire win but it will be close and the last 10-15mins will seem like months! 24-12 to the Wire

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users