Monthly Mistake

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 03:19 PM

My name is Bleep1673, and I am the first person to claim the free tee shirt, 500, and a free subscription to Rugby League World from John Drake for spotting this months deliberate mistake:

On page 41 there is a picture of Wigan holding aloft another trophy, the captions claims that they are lifting the Regal Trophy up, however the cheque on the left hand side of the picture gives the game away. It is made payable to the \"FIRST DIVISION CHAMPS\", and shows Stones as the sponsor.

Also, as any Pre-Superleague fan will tell you that the trophy is the old Championship trophy, not the Regal Tin-pot...

Wiki: The name Regal Trophy was used as a result of sponsorship from the tobacco manufacturer John Player & Sons. The competition was also known as the Player\'s No.6 Trophy (1971-77), the John Player Trophy (1977-83) and the John Player Special Trophy (1983-89), before becoming the Regal Trophy in 1989.

and much as it pains me to use this picture, this is the best I can find......

http://t0.gstatic.co...esources/images

Edited by Bleep1673, 14 September 2010 - 03:45 PM.

Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#2 StevieM13

StevieM13
  • Coach
  • 182 posts

Posted 14 September 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Bleep1673 @ Sep 14 2010, 04:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My name is Bleep1673, and I am the first person to claim the free tee shirt, 500, and a free subscription to Rugby League World from John Drake for spotting this months deliberate mistake:

On page 41 there is a picture of Wigan holding aloft another trophy, the captions claims that they are lifting the Regal Trophy up, however the cheque on the left hand side of the picture gives the game away. It is made payable to the \"FIRST DIVISION CHAMPS\", and shows Stones as the sponsor.

Also, as any Pre-Superleague fan will tell you that the trophy is the old Championship trophy, not the Regal Tin-pot...

Wiki: The name Regal Trophy was used as a result of sponsorship from the tobacco manufacturer John Player & Sons. The competition was also known as the Player\'s No.6 Trophy (1971-77), the John Player Trophy (1977-83) and the John Player Special Trophy (1983-89), before becoming the Regal Trophy in 1989.

and much as it pains me to use this picture, this is the best I can find......

http://t0.gstatic.co...esources/images

Sorry to rain on your parade, but there's one on page 8 too!! The Giants play at The Galpharm stadium, not the McAlpine. wink.gif

#3 Bleep1673

Bleep1673
  • Coach
  • 3,430 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 10:55 AM

Yes they play at the Galpharm, but in the context of the article they moved into what was at the time known as the McAlpine Stadium
Swinton RLFC est 1866 - Supplying England with players when most of your clubs were in nappies

#4 Methven Hornet

Methven Hornet
  • Coach
  • 9,496 posts

Posted 17 September 2010 - 10:19 PM

To be honest, I thought the monthly mistake was in the 'Grounds for Development' article. Leeds Rhinos are to build a new 10,000 capacity South Stand (modelled on the popular covered terrace at Warrington's HJ) but first they have "to raise some 10 million".

10 million for a covered terrace??? ohmy.gif In my day you could get a couple of 10,000 all-seater, covered stadiums for 10 million - and still have money for the bus fare home. What is it going to come equipped with? Under-concrete heating? Padded crush barriers? Gold-plated urinals?

Surely a misprint?
"There are now more pandas in Scotland than Tory MPs."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users