Sign in to follow this  
bamfordsbeans

Holiday observations

Like a lot of people on here Im sure I am not alone in trying to spread the message of our great game when abroad.

I have just returned from Turkey and whilst I had no joy in encouraging the waiters to form a team to take on the Greeks I did have an interesting conversation with a waiter and the English couple on the next table. The Turkish waiter naturally referred to the English soccer team when the well spoken gentlemen said he was not interested in soccer but in the rugby world cup.I piped up -me too but we,ve another 2 years to wait.The reply   was interesting- " Oh rugby league that a puffs game". This started the usual encounters many of us have had -but I wrongly assumed the gentleman was from the south and not the answer I was about to get -Sharlston.

This is Wikipedia's listing for sport in Sharlston Sport[edit]

"The village has an amateur rugby league team, Sharlston Rovers, which recently won the Wakefield Division 2 Cup."

That's it.

So I take it he does n't support the village's one and only sports team.

Edited by Yosser

I get that ally the time living down here. My usual retort is to ask them if they have ever played RL and then invite them to turn out for one of our amateur teams. This usually shuts them up.