Blog on Rugby League Statistical Analysis

I bookmarked your site. (but I bookmark a lot of sites then forget about them)

The correlation doesn't surprise me. Given that the field is only 100m long, an extra 10m on the first tackle makes a difference. The two contradictory results aren't that surprising either. I'm a Wests fan and I hate it when my team gets inside the 20m attacking one. We are so much more dangerous from 40m out - although rigorous statistical analysis may show that to be an illusion.

Another point is that good kickers will target the worst kick returner in the back 3.

Basically, getting up the other end should be an advantage but only if your halves know what to do when they get there.

Thanks so much for the responses. Saint 1, you have made very interesting comments. I agree Kick Return Metres are most likely a result from dominant play and not really a cause. I have already started thinking of relationship with tackle%. Some great points you've made with kick return metres dependent on PTB.

Yep I work with some junior coaches. One of them has played elite level here in Australia and he has explained to me the 'winning' tackle concept. It'd be great to have some data on this.

I want to find metrics that are the cause. I was going to look at metres per tackle break.

Archived