Former New Zealand international Benji Marshall has revealed that while he has received offers from Super League sides for 2017, he will not be taking any of them up as he looks to continue playing in Australia.
The 31-year-old will play his final game for St George this weekend after turning down a contract offer from them earlier in the season.
He is set to be a free agent after not agreeing a deal with a new club for 2017 just yet, but Marshall told 7 News Sydney that while he did get offers from some English clubs, he believes the best thing for himself and his family is to stay in Australia.
“I’m very grateful to have offers from England and grateful a lot of them stayed with me and waited but at the end of the day when it comes to family and what’s next over the next 10 years, the best thing for my future is to stay in Australia, so England is out of the picture at the moment for me,” he said.
Marshall also stressed that he feels he has plenty to offer a club next year – and that he does not want to retire from the sport at the end of this season.
He said: “I feel like I’ve still got a lot to offer: I’m only 31 and even though people think that’s old, I feel good.
“At the end of the day I’ll do everything in my power to find somewhere to play and if that doesn’t happen, we’ll address what happens next when it comes.
“I’ve got to stress that I don’t want to retire; I’m working on a few things I’m going to keep private and if that happens, it happens.”
Full Benji Marshall IV: No to UK Super League, no regrets over rejecting Dragons, media career his last resort. https://t.co/crqQMFwJDQ
— Josh Massoud (@josh_massoud) August 31, 2016