Chase’s genius helps Red Devils to victory

Salford Red Devils stand-off half Rangi Chase created a magnificent try for Josh Griffin in the second half of their 32-28 victory over Hull FC at the A J Bell Stadium tonight to get the Red Devils off the mark with their first victory of the season.

In a tense and thrilling game, Chase’s effort, which created Griffin’s second try in six minutes, was just enough to keep the Red Devils in front as the game entered its closing stages.

The Red Devils had started the match like a house on fire, with two early tries to fullback Niall Evalds (who replaced Kevin Locke at fullback) and Frenchman Theo Fages, with Griffin converting the first.

Hull fought back, however, and halfbacks Leon Pryce and Marc Sneyd combined to send Jordan Rankin over after 16 minutes, with Sneyd’s conversion cutting the deficit to four points.

But Chase then sent Evalds over for his second try, again converted by Griffin, before the Reds suffered a blow nine minutes before half-time when Adrian Morley was sinbinned for a high shot on Dean Hadley.

Two minutes before the interval Hull’s Jordan Thompson scored a delightful individual try, slicing through the Red Devils’ defence to touch down under the posts, and Sneyd’s conversion and an almost immediate penalty made the half-time score 16-14.

And the Black and Whites took the lead for the first time 15 minutes into the second half, when Setaimata Sa scored when picking up a rebounded Pryce kick, although Sneyd couldn’t add the relatively simple conversion.

But then Chase stepped up to the mark, first giving a long tryscoring pass to Griffin, and then showing dazzling handling skills to lay on another try for Griffin, putting the Red Devils 28-18 in front.

Hull refused to give in, however, and they had a Tom Lineham disallowed before another fine run by Thompson saw him scoring his second try, with Sneyd’s goal making it 28-24.

It was time for Chase to turn on the magic again, however, and he flicked a back pass to Junior Sa’u who opened up an eight-point gap with three minutes remaining.

Hull were still not beaten, however, and Lineham got over in the corner to reduce the deficit back to four points, but when Hadley lost the ball the game was over and the Red Devils were celebrating their first victory of the season.

A full report and photographs from this game will feature in Monday’s edition of Rugby League Express.