Double joy for Lancashire



Lancashire won both of yesterday’s games against Yorkshire on the RFL’s Women’s Origin Day.


Oliver Roby reports from Stanningley, Leeds




Yorkshire 10

Lancashire 14


THE match was deadlocked for the majority of the game before the visitors settled things in the second half.

Yorkshire opened the scoring after Lancashire coughed up possession immediately from the kick off. On the fifth tackle from the succeeding scrum, Ellie Sutcliffe’s cross-field kick was chased and grounded by fullback Kelsey Groves.

Lancashire hit back after 20 minutes when Charlotte Hill finished off some swift handling, taking advantage of having a player extra following Katie Lyons’ sin-binning for a professional foul.

Groves then notched up her second of the afternoon as Katie Whelan’s pass sent the flying fullback clear before dotting behind the posts, with Whelan easily converting.

The visitors remained positive and hit back minutes before the break as Jade Ward burst onto a bullet pass from Rachael Porter.

Becky Greenfield converted to tie the score up at 10-10 at half-time.

The second half perhaps saw fatigue take hold of both sides as the scoring was much more limited.

Lancashire however, possessed just enough fuel to clinch the deciding try in the bruising encounter.

Second rower Chloe Richardson grabbed the touchdown after Greenfield’s final pass sent the forward rampaging through, though Greenfield was unable to convert.

Yorkshire attempted to steal the match back but an injury to Groves ended her match prematurely as well as ended Yorkshire’s hopes of winning.

Lancashire recorded the win but credit where it is due, both sets of teams played their part in a tough match and deserve recognition.

Plenty of talent was on show and bright futures lay ahead for them as their careers continue.




Yorkshire 16

Lancashire 22


GAME two of the War of the Roses saw another close encounter that went in favour of Lancashire.

The Reds recorded a 2-0 whitewash with their second win out of the three clashes.

Lancashire initially started like a house on fire as they notched two tries within the opening 20 minutes.

Flyer Rachel Ogden scored both; her first saw her receive a cut-out pass from Rachael Thompson to touch down in the corner.

The second was slightly similar only, on this occasion, stand-off Sarah Harrison produced some superb blind side play to allow Ogden enough room for her second.

Harrison was unable to convert so the score remained at 8-0.

Yorkshire attempted a fightback but Lancashire’s last-ditch defending kept their try line intact.

Lancashire then hit double figures when a repeat set via a penalty saw Thompson ghost through for her side’s third try.

However, just before half-time, Yorkshire responded as Lyndsey Cunnett powered over from five metres, with Katie Hepworth converting to leave the score at 12-6.

The hosts then cut the gap to just two points as Nichaula Roth scored, though Hepworth’s conversion was unsuccessful.

Lancashire then halted the charge with back-to-back tries.

Ogden completed her hat-trick after four repeat sets eventually paid off for the visitors before Sammi Simpson finished off a power-play to score in the corner.

A conversion from Thompson put Lancashire 22-10 ahead, but Yorkshire managed to set up a tense finish.

Hepworth regathered from a short kick off before scorching through the defence from 25 metres; she successfully converted but it was too little too late as Lancashire held on for the win.