Hull FC and Hull KR to merge...

• Replies 547
  • Created
  • Last Reply

but as I say it only works because they aren't competition and there is a junior and senior partner there.

Hunslet still get players from the Leeds academy though, once Hudgell achieves total dominance of Humberside whilst Pearson fiddles at Leeds United as Hull FC burns, Hull can still get players off the joint academy.

Just not the best ones.

Anyway you can have the point again 2-0 to you.

Hunslet still get players from the Leeds academy though, once Hudgell achieves total dominance of Humberside whilst Pearson fiddles at Leeds United as Hull FC burns, Hull can still get players off the joint academy.

Just not the best ones.

Anyway you can have the point again 2-0 to you.

and that is why it works well and wouldn't with two equal clubs, for Hull it would require one club to 'burn' which would make me think we would need to rethink the term 'work'. I'm not sure what argument you think you are having here.

I don't think it would require one club to burn. If the draft is adhered to. Which although dismissed as silly by some on here, I think has potential. They could take the first pick based on who was lowest the previous season or just alternate it. They would need some agreement to say that if the selected player couldn't reach terms with the club that selected them, then the other hull club wouldn't swoop in. 

I don't think it would require one club to burn. If the draft is adhered to. Which although dismissed as silly by some on here, I think has potential. They could take the first pick based on who was lowest the previous season or just alternate it. They would need some agreement to say that if the selected player couldn't reach terms with the club that selected them, then the other hull club wouldn't swoop in.

if you were grand final losers in need of a centre and the next Kallum Watkins was coming through are you going to just let the other side have him because they finished 10th?

Yes. It is how draft systems work.

But we don't have a draft system.

This theoretical Watkins would just join whichever better side than the 10th placed Hull team wanted him the most and offered him the most money (ie Leeds, Wigan, Saints) as others on here have already stated.

Trying to enforce him to join the 10th placed Hull side? Now that would be a sure-fire trigger for legal action. It would contravene every Euro trade law in the book.

See there you are again , pretending you know the future because ' all evidence ' suggests it

What evidence ?

The poor gates, the lack of success of the Hull sides since the 80s, the shrinking profile of RL, its lack of cash and growth opportunity.

Let's start with those.

But we don't have a draft system.

This theoretical Watkins would just join whichever better side than the 10th placed Hull team wanted him the most and offered him the most money (ie Leeds, Wigan, Saints) as others on here have already stated.

Trying to enforce him to join the 10th placed Hull side? Now that would be a sure-fire trigger for legal action. It would contravene every Euro trade law in the book.

We do not. 

That would always be a risk. BUT - in the vast majority of cases, either Hull club would be in a position to pay him more than anyone else due to the salary cap considerations for club-produced players. So there would be the odd example where (lets say) Leeds break the bank for a lad fresh out of the academy, but I think that would be rare.

I appreciate that you couldn't force him to join one of the Hull clubs, but could one of the clubs could be put in a legally binding position where they couldn't offer him a place if the other one did? Would that break any laws? 

We do not. 

That would always be a risk. BUT - in the vast majority of cases, either Hull club would be in a position to pay him more than anyone else due to the salary cap considerations for club-produced players. So there would be the odd example where (lets say) Leeds break the bank for a lad fresh out of the academy, but I think that would be rare.

I appreciate that you couldn't force him to join one of the Hull clubs, but could one of the clubs could be put in a legally binding position where they couldn't offer him a place if the other one did? Would that break any laws? 

Probably.

The bigger problem is that it doesn't fit into any larger centrally-driven strategy. It's just the Hull sides making it up as they go along.

No you could probably get away with that. The issue is, do you want to? Aren't you handicapping yourself against everyone else?

I have issues with a draft system but it's only going to work in a closed ecosystem with everyone involved

I suppose that the argument would be that you are happy to take that handicapping (in consideration that you are competitively placed against the rest of the league for the players you are allowed) in order for the perceived benefits of merging the academies?

I think it is one of them experiments that should run for a few (not two years) and then look again. As it is just the academies, I don't think there'll be any big shakes about going back if it turns out to be a stinker

Of course on paper you join the clubs and halve the costs.

Can I agree with that, if so can you deal with the rest of it?

1. Will a rich backer be in place to provide the cashflow to take the new club from CC1 to Superleague? Hudgell & Crossland are not interested?

2. Will you get a deal at the KC?? Or will you have to play out of NCP?

3. How will you build a side capable of SL when all the best players will have gone and you'll be trying to get top players back to Hull United??

4. When you hit the top end of the championship as Hull United how will you make that final transition to being a big club again??

There is every chance Bradford as big as Hull won't get into SL this year and may not return for years to come.

5. If you fail to get back to SL for several years just how many fans will stay with you?? Bradford are down from 15,000 to 4,000 now.

6. Do you not realise that unlike Australia merged and new clubs are not given special treatment here. You won't get a licence for Hull United to start in SL or be exempt from relegation

Please please please answer these questions I ask you in good faith and support of your principles, because if you keep avoiding them I will just repeat them a couple of times then give up.

Parky , just thought I'd bring up your questionnaire to DSK , as I answered a couple of points but then those you were asking decided to ignore it ( because they can't answer them ) and pick up on 1 particular answer of mine

Parky , just thought I'd bring up your questionnaire to DSK , as I answered a couple of points but then those you were asking decided to ignore it ( because they can't answer them ) and pick up on 1 particular answer of mine

Thank you.

Not sure the points scoring will stop or the realities be dealt with though.

The poor gates, the lack of success of the Hull sides since the 80s, the shrinking profile of RL, its lack of cash and growth opportunity.

Poor gates??

4th. & 7th. best gates in the game

Lack of success?

One makes the top eight the other makes Wembley??

Now answer my points?????

Archived