Major announcement

steve wild

I must admit i have an interest in stadium design, location and transport options.

Looking at the Agecroft location, I have been wondering if there is a case for the club and local residents to lobby for a new train station right next to the new proposed Agecroft stadium on the Bolton-Manchester line.

A new station would serve this developing area as well as the new stadium. I'm not an engineer, but a new station would appear to involve very little construction. the roads are in place, no demolition. It would be far more useful than Clifton.

Now I know it's a lot more complicated than to just stick a pin in the map and build a train station. But a think it's feasible proposal.

It's just an idea. I wonder if TFGm and Salford council and others have considered the benefits of a new local train station at Agecroft. 

There was a train station there once, there could be again if enough people got behind it.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agecroft_Bridge_railway_station

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

A railway station? A great idea for both the ground and the residential area.

I know you won't believe me the same thought crossed my mind a few years back when the stadium venture was progressing.

This sort of thing can take years to get up and running even if it was found acceptable. The 'wheels' move very slowly when something like this is aired.

Still, you never know I suppose. And don't forget, it would be on the 'wrong' line, i.e. NOT the line for Swinton railway station, rather for Clifton railway station, which nowadays is a very pale shadow of its former self as Clifton Junction with its 4 platforms and connections to Bolton, Bury and Manchester.

Good luck

A railway station? A great idea for both the ground and the residential area.

I know you won't believe me the same thought crossed my mind a few years back when the stadium venture was progressing.

This sort of thing can take years to get up and running even if it was found acceptable. The 'wheels' move very slowly when something like this is aired.

Still, you never know I suppose. And don't forget, it would be on the 'wrong' line, i.e. NOT the line for Swinton railway station, rather for Clifton railway station, which nowadays is a very pale shadow of its former self as Clifton Junction with its 4 platforms and connections to Bolton, Bury and Manchester.

Good luck

Swinton RLFC club would just be one of many who could benefit. Salford City FC if they have plans to expand Moor lane would benefit. Lower Kersal and the general surrounding area are poorly served by rail.

I just wonder if someone got the ball rolling it could gather pace. A local councillor probably would be a starting point.

The very least the club should lobby for is a new cycle-pedestrian path with good lighting from Clifton train station to the new stadium along the side of the existing railway line and canal. This would cut out the need for those coming by train using the circuitous walk down Lumbs lane, and knock ten minutes off the walk.

At the moment it's 1.2 miles from Clifton station via the canal towpath and 1.6 miles via Lumbs Lane. That's assuming Swinton's new stadium is where I think they'll build it.

I really think the new Agecroft stadium with it's own train station next door would do wonders for attracting more/new supporters both home and away fans. It could also be a park and ride station for commuters into Manchester city centre.

Next job get the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canal navigable again. Now that would be a splendid sight. Narrow boats chugging along next to the new stadium on a sunny match day.

Yes, I am a dreamer.    

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Swinton RLFC club would just be one of many who could benefit. Salford City FC if they have plans to expand Moor lane would benefit. Lower Kersal and the general surrounding area are poorly served by rail.

I just wonder if someone got the ball rolling it could gather pace. A local councillor probably would be a starting point.

The very least the club should lobby for is a new cycle-pedestrian path with good lighting from Clifton train station to the new stadium along the side of the existing railway line and canal. This would cut out the need for those coming by train using the circuitous walk down Lumbs lane, and knock ten minutes off the walk.

At the moment it's 1.2 miles from Clifton station via the canal towpath and 1.6 miles via Lumbs Lane. That's assuming Swinton's new stadium is where I think they'll build it.

I really think the new Agecroft stadium with it's own train station next door would do wonders for attracting more/new supporters both home and away fans. It could also be a park and ride station for commuters into Manchester city centre.

Next job get the Manchester, Bolton and Bury canal navigable again. Now that would be a splendid sight. Narrow boats chugging along next to the new stadium on a sunny match day.

Yes, I am a dreamer.    

As a Swinton supporter and a member of the Manchester Bolton and Bury Canal Society I have been sharing these dreams !

Just a quicky, those who lament the pubs on Rainsough being closed, there is always the Henry Bodds at the top of Agecroft Rd. I know it's not to everyones taste, but it;s still a pub within walking distance. No-one complains about the Skolars Pub, even though the do serve rubbish beers, it's close enough to drink & walk to from Wood Green Tube. Anyone who went to Broncos this year knows there are no pubs within walking distance. It's Ealing Broadway, or nowt (sorry, or the bar in the ground, with a HD screen TV on the wall).

Just a quicky, those who lament the pubs on Rainsough being closed, there is always the Henry Bodds at the top of Agecroft Rd. I know it's not to everyones taste, but it;s still a pub within walking distance. No-one complains about the Skolars Pub, even though the do serve rubbish beers, it's close enough to drink & walk to from Wood Green Tube. Anyone who went to Broncos this year knows there are no pubs within walking distance. It's Ealing Broadway, or nowt (sorry, or the bar in the ground, with a HD screen TV on the wall).

I would imagine the club would put plans for some social club/bar at the new stadium. But you're right the Henry Boddington will probably become a main pre match pub.   

​​ 

​                       

​                        

As a Swinton supporter and a member of the Manchester Bolton and Bury Canal Society I have been sharing these dreams !

I never thought I'd see the Rochdale canal with narrow boats on it. So maybe,  one day soon the MBB canal will get the same treatment.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Archived