Major announcement

steve wild

Brilliant news! Great to have the land lease, in place and a solid time frame, for the Lions return too Swinton! Well done, to J Roddy and all the board, for the fantastic work, you' ve put in and hopefully, the club will reap the reward, in the long term.Once again,well done to all involved.

A real tonic for all concerned in the club, supporters and the S&P community at large, it's been a (very) long time in coming.

Let's see if we can whittle down the 3 year figure to less than half that time to make up for the near ¼ of a century since we left Station Road. Let's hope it will be an ample home to be proud of and not just a one sided ground like so many in the lower leagues, i.e. something befitting our status as one the game's historic sporting bodies.

Public transport in the Agecroft area could do with a shake-up seeing as how the current daytime service is simply inadequate to put it mildly. Perhaps the number 8 along the top road could do an Agecroft detour on Sunday afternoons. Anything is possible if all things are considered.

Does anyone know which part of Agecroft the new stadium will be in? is it Lumbs lane or near the old colliery. And when will the  architects renders of the new stadium be submitted so we can all have a look at it.

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

Between the prison and the dog home I think

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Between the prison and the dog home I think

Is this where there are already some football pitches? opposite where the flower seller used to have his pitch. Where Langley Road South meets Agecroft Rd I think.

It's a pity the pubs on Rainscough Brow have closed. They'd have come in handy for the new ground.

https://goo.gl/maps/wiGBu77cXcB2

​​ 

​THE NORTH OF ENGLAND WITH A POPULATION OF NEARLY 17 MILLION PEOPLE IS THE TRUE EXPANSION AREA FOR RUGBY LEAGUE........IF IT CAN'T EXPAND HERE, WHERE CAN IT EXPAND?

​                       

​                        

So what will be the  supporter catchment area for the new Agecroft, Swinon Lions stadium be?.... I'd say obviously Swinton and Pendlebury, then Clifton, Kearsley, Walkden, Kersal, Higher Broughton, Prestwich, Crumpsall, Chettham Hill, Whitefield, Higher Blackley. With these combined areas having  a population of  well over 100,000 Swinton have a substantial population with 1.5 mile radius of the new stadium to aim at  as potential new fans.

​​ 

​                       

​                        

So what will be the  supporter catchment area for the new Agecroft, Swinon Lions stadium be?.... I'd say obviously Swinton and Pendlebury, then Clifton, Kearsley, Walkden, Kersal, Higher Broughton, Prestwich, Crumpsall, Chettham Hill, Whitefield, Higher Blackley. With these combined areas having  a population of  well over 100,000 Swinton have a substantial population with 1.5 mile radius of the new stadium to aim at  as potential new fans.

If we get the opportunity to publicise our club in the area. What we have to remember is that Salfor* City FC also play in the area, and with Ryan Wilson, (oops, Giggs), backing SCFC we are going to have to get our skates on publicity wise, and be pretty savvy about negative news coming out of Moor Lane.

First and foremost, Swinton, Pendlebury and Clifton, the 3 districts which make up the town (and former borough) of Swinton & Pendlebury.

Sure we might draw some folk from just over the Irwell at Rainsough, Prestwich and Higher Broughton, after all we acquired some Bury folk into our ranks due to the Gigg Lane days.

Back in the glorious '60s games at Station Road attracted people from all areas outside M27 such as Eccles, Prestwich, Whitefield, Walkden and beyond so why not again given time?

Early days yet but at some point we will need to approach Transport for Greater Manchester for some kind of bus service along Agecroft Road on Sundays.

Even playing at Sale gives us a great opportunity to develop a short term base which is better than nothing that we have now.

After many years of depression, we are finally beginning to make progress back to a ground of our own. Between the Prison & a dog shelter? Grounds have been built in worse areas, and their clubs have gone on to greater things.

South Sydney RLFC being one of them.

I hope I live long enough to be one of the people welcomed into the Agecroft Stadium on opening day. Most of my Dad's family are buried in Agecroft Cemetary, & they were MCFC fans. It would be nice to visit both in 3-4 years & say "I told you I'd be back".

If we get the opportunity to publicise our club in the area. What we have to remember is that Salfor* City FC also play in the area, and with Ryan Wilson, (oops, Giggs), backing SCFC we are going to have to get our skates on publicity wise, and be pretty savvy about negative news coming out of Moor Lane.

One good thing is that Football is mainly a winter sport. So there is a big opportunity for Swinton Lions in a new Agecroft stadium to build up a substantial growth in fans both old and new attending games. there is literally no other sporting clubs of Swintons status round there. I live in Higher Balckley, support amateur club Manchester Rangers, I go to Sedgley Park a few times to watch Swinton. I could walk to the New Agecroft stadium within 35 minutes.  A bus ride if one goes there from where I live would take me under 10 minutes.

I just hope when the club move to Agecroft they go on a big publicity drive letting people in areas like Prestwich, Higher Broughton Kersal ect know that they're gonna have the opportunity and a great day out watching live Rugby league literally on their doorsteps.

It looks like there are exciting times ahead for Swinton RLFC and their supporters. 

​​ 

​                       

​                        

Just a pity it couldn't be at Rabbit Hills on a major bus route rather than down in 'sleepy valley'.

Always someone who thinks the glass is half empty. BM, I would've thought you would be one of the bandwagon, whistlers who were for the new stadium? Rabbit hills is currently used as an amateur Rugby base, why should we turf out a long established, grass-roots club, when there's spare land available?

Always someone who thinks the glass is half empty. BM, I would've thought you would be one of the bandwagon, whistlers who were for the new stadium? Rabbit hills is currently used as an amateur Rugby base, why should we turf out a long established, grass-roots club, when there's spare land available?

Bleep, Rabbit Hills would have been a far better location, just the same as the Ambrose Barlow field would have even better still.

If it has to be Agecroft, so be it, let's make it a real home for the Lions and make the best of what we have been given.

IMO it's a better location than what the pinks have been forced to accept, I think we'd all agree to that.

One possible reason RH has been ruled out is that it is on a land-fill rubbish site from when the old Salford Council's bin lorries dumped waste (outside their boundaries just as Agecroft Cemetery was too) during the 1960s or so (I remember it clearly in operation).

Archived