PREVIEW | Thornton expecting big response

Dons News

Gary Thornton is backing his players to put on a strong display in the Challenge Cup tie against Myton Warriors.

The Dons face the amateur side in the third round of the competition on Sunday on the back of a defeat at Keighley, and Thornton is ready to make changes in order to get a strong performance.

“We’re a tight knit squad and the players that didn’t play at Keighley know why they weren’t picked and were told that they would have an opportunity,” he said.

“It has given a few players a chance to go out and show what they can do at the weekend, I think there’s a strong togetherness about this squad and we want to be successful together.

“I want competition for places and I want people here that are prepared to work hard and role their sleeves up to get themselves in the team.”

The head coach is expecting a tough test against Myton, with the Hul-based side coming to the Keepmoat Stadium with nothing to lose.

“It’s a potential banana skin really, these sort of games are always strange in the build-up because if we score a lot of points then that’s what’s expected of us but if we lose then it’s a big shock,” he added.

“I know they’ll come here and play full of enthusiasm. It’s a chance for them to enjoy the day and make the most of playing in a lovely stadium.

“They got promoted into a top division last year and looking at their record they didn’t lose many games, so they will come here confident and knowing they are capable of winning games. Having said that, our players know that if we play well on the day then we have a good chance of getting the right result.”

View the full article

Archived