Any match reports

SOUTHOFTHERIVER

It was OK actually, nothing like as bad as the final score suggests but three late scores blew it out a bit, not unexpected as York have already played several pre-season matches. It was competitive throughout and well-attended by both sets of supporters.

Usual pre-season friendly rules applied however; some players looked good (Straugheir, Nicholson, Roberts), some still have plenty to prove or were clearly not fully fit, and the game sometimes lacked cohesion as eight subs on both sides were brought on to give everybody a chance. But most of what I would expect to be our first choice threequarter line were sitting near me in the stand (Grimmer did OK at centre Suzzy! ;) Especially in defence, but I still prefer him at No 6 (or failing that No 13) where he can have more influence on the game.

Despite the last five minutes I think we can expect to see a much improved team this season.

Spoke to GT after game and he seemed pretty happy with the way you lads went.

Flanagan was well up for it and had a cracking game. Grimmer was real solid, almost got Gibson in early doors but the match-up between him and JBF was a good one. Southernwood was busy early on and Reed always runs straight and hard. Straff will be a good acquisition.  As HWB said, bit more fitness and game time. you'll be OK.

You had some good spells of pressure but York D was excellent apart from one lapse.

Late scores didnt really give a fair reflection of the game. 

Thanks for the positive comment mate it’s early days yet for the lads to gel with each other and for their first hit up they did a great job holding a team that was on their fourth right up until the end when they ran out of steam. Regarding Grimmer he’s happy just to have the hunslet shirt back on and wants to end his career trying to help the club he regards as home so whatever positions GT needs him to play he will give 100% long as he keeps injury free I’m hoping he can bring something to the club with his experience 

chappy

Archived