Brian Bevan

I have posted this many times before, but Robert Gate's book 'The Great Bev' is a mine of information and anecdote.

One of my favourites is a winger on debut facing Warrington. His captain said, in the changing room, "watch out for Bevan".

At half time, with Bevan already having scored a hat-trick, the captain said to the winger "I thought I told you to watch him!"

The winger replied "I did... good, isn't he?"

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

• 1 year later...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 year later...
On 25/07/2018 at 22:26, latchford albion said:

I hadn't realised that George McNeill had played rugby - albeit only one game, but knew that he had won the Powderhall and also the Stowell Gift.  One thing that I did just find out (if Wikipedia is to to believed) is the the World Professional Sprint Championships took place at Belle Vue in 1972 and that George won, beating 1968 Olympic 200 metres champion Tommie Smith (of Black Power salute fame)in three of four races.

Back on topic - there are some great photos of Brian Bevan.

I was at Wakefield That Day - I remember there was slight controversies from the Americans  around the tight bends

Archived