The Greatest Sacrifice

Boyny

On the eve of the centenary of the end of WW1 i can recommend a must-read 'The Greatest Sacrifice'-Fallen Heroes of the Northern Union. An amazingly well researched book that tells the stories of the 69 professional players who gave their lives. 

Though there are no York players listed in the 69,but there are York connections right throughout the book. Such as the York born Robert Randerson who is on the front cover.There is a newspaper match report from the 1914 match between Hunslet and ourselves where York turned up with only 6 men as the rest had enlisted.The VC winner John Harrison who taught at St Johns College and played for York before joining Hull. 

All emotional and poignant stories. Tomorrow at 11am I will be thinking of these people and all the others who suffered and I will think of them again when im at Elland Rd for the England v New Zealand test.

Archived