Is domestic french rl in decline?

A final that arrives very late in the year with exhausted volunteers, hot temperatures. Other possible reasons: a match in a city in peripheral of the zone treiziste. A team of St Estève XIII Catalan without public, Carcassonne without money at the start which helped a lot by the federation builds a very competitive team. We could add the little communication in the department and the city. No enhancement or show around this final. An aging public often polarized by the Dragons. Despite all that, I think there was more audience than two years ago in Avignon.

www.fcl13.fr FCL XIII - Lezignan Corbieres Rugby League

1 hour ago, fcl said:

A final that arrives very late in the year with exhausted volunteers, hot temperatures. Other possible reasons: a match in a city in peripheral of the zone treiziste. A team of St Estève XIII Catalan without public, Carcassonne without money at the start which helped a lot by the federation builds a very competitive team. We could add the little communication in the department and the city. No enhancement or show around this final. An aging public often polarized by the Dragons. Despite all that, I think there was more audience than two years ago in Avignon.

Merci! Good to get some french impute. So what's the solution to fix the decline in crowds? How has the dragoons affected the prestige of the competition?

Gradually the dragons won the hearts of many supporters of Elite clubs. imagine, for example, that Wigan and St Helens decide to play in NRL and every week NRL clubs come to England to play in a new stadium, with entertainment, shows etc ... For me the solution goes through a development by the base by choosing clubs to grow, especially not in large cities where treisites activity is very small but in medium-sized cities with already structures and especially volunteers!

• 6 months later...

After following French RL on the internet for a while I still can`t get a firm handle on how well or otherwise they are doing. Mostly they seem to be strong in towns with tiny populations, sometimes 3 or 4 thousand. This is an obscure reference but it makes me think of an album by the Canadian alternative band NOMEANSNO called "Small parts isolated and destroyed". Until the French find ways of becoming at least the sum of their small parts they will always be vulnerable.

Rugby à XIII survives in small towns because municipalities politically and economically support these clubs. As soon as the support of elected officials disappears clubs die (Pia for example). With the municipal elections coming soon it may be for tomorrow ....
In larger cities, there is more competition between different sports and we do not have a lobby and network to have powerful leaders. To start, it would take people like Bernard Guasch or Bernard Sarrazin in big cities devoid of professional sports clubs. Our leaders (even federal) are probably passionate but insignificant.

On 17/02/2020 at 22:17, fcl said:

Rugby à XIII survives in small towns because municipalities politically and economically support these clubs. As soon as the support of elected officials disappears clubs die (Pia for example). With the municipal elections coming soon it may be for tomorrow ....
In larger cities, there is more competition between different sports and we do not have a lobby and network to have powerful leaders. To start, it would take people like Bernard Guasch or Bernard Sarrazin in big cities devoid of professional sports clubs. Our leaders (even federal) are probably passionate but insignificant.

Parochialism has always been a besetting problem in every RL nation. We don`t build networks within and between our nations as well as that other game. The IRL should not overlook the value of Treizistes from small towns to RL evangelism. Ayguesvives cadettes have recently been in Thailand spreading the word along with NRL Asia. Domestically there are Greek and Serbian players currently turning out for small French clubs. My French is awful but I think Lescure have even signed a Belgian. All these small connections help widen the game`s reach.

On 18/02/2020 at 00:17, fcl said:

Oh I see thanks

Archived