On this day 23rd March (1963) _ great win.

Chrome Dome

Date: 23/03/1963.    Score: Wigan 20  v Workington Town 22  Venue: Central Park, Wigan.

Town scorers: Tries - Brennan, Southward, McDowell, Glastonbury.

Goals - Foster 3, Southward 1, Archer 1.

Workington Town team - Charlton, Glastonbury, Bell, Brennan, Southward, Archer, McDowell, Edgar, Tabern, W.Martin, McLeod, R.Smith, Foster.

My parents got married on that day

I believe it was Town's first game after the long winter freeze 

My dad was gutted he'd missed a win at Wigan after 3-4 months of no rugby

49 minutes ago, shaun mc said:

My parents got married on that day

I believe it was Town's first game after the long winter freeze 

My dad was gutted he'd missed a win at Wigan after 3-4 months of no rugby

Hiya Shaun great wedding present there then..lol.

It was indeed the season of the long winter freeze....Town hosted Widnes on 15th Dec 1962...then the weather took over and Town's next fixture was on 2nd March 1963 - away to Barrow in the Challenge cup. This was a Town win by 16-7, I recall making the rail journey to Barrow that day along with loads of my Ehenside, Cleator Moor, schoolmates it was great.

Town then lost at Wakefield on the 9th March, by 41-5, quite a hammering.

Then on the 16th March sadly Town bowed out of the cup at home to Oldham, 0-13..........then came your parents wedding day Shaun and the hugely impressive win at Wigan....so it was Town's fourth game after that massive 'freeze'.

1 hour ago, Chrome Dome said:

Hiya Shaun great wedding present there then..lol.

It was indeed the season of the long winter freeze....Town hosted Widnes on 15th Dec 1962...then the weather took over and Town's next fixture was on 2nd March 1963 - away to Barrow in the Challenge cup. This was a Town win by 16-7, I recall making the rail journey to Barrow that day along with loads of my Ehenside, Cleator Moor, schoolmates it was great.

Town then lost at Wakefield on the 9th March, by 41-5, quite a hammering.

Then on the 16th March sadly Town bowed out of the cup at home to Oldham, 0-13..........then came your parents wedding day Shaun and the hugely impressive win at Wigan....so it was Town's fourth game after that massive 'freeze'.

Thanks for the info

I've got the programme of the Wigan game, and it made an appearance when they had their 50th anniversary meal a few years back

Archived