Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
deluded pom?

SAS Fox Memorial Premiership 2020

Recommended Posts

Pt Chev`s performance in the Livestream game makes Richmond`s defeat of them a fortnight ago look even more impressive.

It must have been tricky for the ARL to get their divisional structure right this year. Apart from Papakura conceding 94 points in one game a couple of weeks after they`d defaulted another, it seems to be working out pretty well. Mangere East lost 24-32 to Marist this week after a commendable display last week against Mt Albert. When the team anchored at the bottom of the ladder without a win can be so competitive, it`s a sign the competition is in rude health.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

Do we know if Papakura aware short handed against MA? 

There was nothing in the match report about send-offs or multiple sin-bins, so you would suspect shortage of troops issues or too many young players drafted in.

After the default, I looked on their social media for clues, but nothing doing. It can`t be anything too serious, judging from their other results. They`re generally a well-run club. Probably just the customary challenges of amateur/semi-pro sport compounded this year by Covid.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Consecutive weeks on`t Telly for Pt Chev this week (sort of Telly). Home game this time. Contrary to what some have said about the ARL needing a larger, regular stadium for its games, I prefer to see all the different suburban grounds and environs. Good also to hear from administrators how the home club is going.

It appears that the ladies are the only open-age team flying the Ponsonby flag this year. The difficulty in setting divisions is visible in the women`s competition where Mt Albert in the top tier have been nilled in 4 of their 5 games. Meantime in the lower tier Otahuhu have won all their games with a number of players transitioning from last year`s 18s.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

 Contrary to what some have said about the ARL needing a larger, regular stadium for its games, I prefer to see all the different suburban grounds and environs.

That isn’t what was said though. The comments were that the GF deserved it’s own day at a smaller stadium than Mt Smart. Nobody said any other games should be moved to a neutral venue.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, deluded pom? said:

That isn’t what was said though. The comments were that the GF deserved it’s own day at a smaller stadium than Mt Smart. Nobody said any other games should be moved to a neutral venue.

I don`t know how to include posts from different pages in the same reply, otherwise I`d illustrate this.

Just re-read the first page. It was " kiwis 13 6" who twice recommended better, neutral venues. So I suppose "contrary to what some have said", should read "contrary to what one poster said twice". Libel averted. I have no money anyway.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Just re-read the first page. It was " kiwis 13 6" who twice recommended better, neutral venues. So I suppose "contrary to what some have said", should read "contrary to what one poster said twice". Libel averted. I have no money anyway.

I was meaning games they live stream could be played at grounds with a small grandstand to get some atmosphere and more of a semi professional image happening. Maybe ARL and Auckland Council could get a central ground with a stand close to the field like Canterbury's Nga Puna Wai ground. But obviously things are the way they are and games are played at clubs home grounds some have good facilities like Te Atatu with seating and a clubrooms overlooking the ground. Others are just a local park with goalposts and changing sheds.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I don`t know how to include posts from different pages in the same reply, otherwise I`d illustrate this.

Just re-read the first page. It was " kiwis 13 6" who twice recommended better, neutral venues. So I suppose "contrary to what some have said", should read "contrary to what one poster said twice". Libel averted. I have no money anyway.

Please accept my sincerest apologies.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

I was meaning games they live stream could be played at grounds with a small grandstand to get some atmosphere and more of a semi professional image happening. Maybe ARL and Auckland Council could get a central ground with a stand close to the field like Canterbury's Nga Puna Wai ground. But obviously things are the way they are and games are played at clubs home grounds some have good facilities like Te Atatu with seating and a clubrooms overlooking the ground. Others are just a local park with goalposts and changing sheds.

As someone who prefers to watch games from a higher vantage point the stand at Nga Puna Wai would suit me fine. I like your description of it as "boutique". The only sour note is the comparison with RL park and the knowledge that CRL have effectively been displaced by you-know-who.

It is noticeable, even at NRL grounds, that most people, unlike me, prefer to be closer to the action even if it means being lower and less able to appreciate the pattern of a game. This might be even more true of grass roots Football followers.

On YouTube there`s some amateur footage of Otahuhu`s game at Te Atatu, shot from the seating side. It looks a lot more attractive than the concrete and road backdrop that we see on ARL livestreams.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Having the Fox memorial Grand Final at Mt Smart Stadium is good for the sense of occasion for players and supporters but bad for creating an atmosphere when a large stadium is 90% empty. Mt Smart number two ground has decent size grandstand for the Fox Memorial and good facilities but the athletics track around the ground makes the game further away from the crowd and dosnt help create an atmosphere.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
35 minutes ago, deluded pom? said:

Are there any neutral venues in Auckland with a couple of decent stands and a 5,000-10,000 capacity?

I`m far away but this is my best guess. I think the venues where two of the Mitre Cup RU provincial teams play home games are the most likely. So that`s North Harbour Stadium and the smaller one at Counties. Would the ARL GF get 5 to 10 k though?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, unapologetic pedant said:

I`m far away but this is my best guess. I think the venues where two of the Mitre Cup RU provincial teams play home games are the most likely. So that`s North Harbour Stadium and the smaller one at Counties. Would the ARL GF get 5 to 10 k though?

Wouldn’t it? Asking a serious question.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, deluded pom? said:

Wouldn’t it? Asking a serious question.

Combining the Howick and Mt Albert supporters last year at Mt Smart 1, then remembering what the GF at Mt Smart 2 looked like the year before, I`d say nowhere near.

It would have to be seen as a wider celebration of all things ARL, the sort of event that attracts good numbers of neutrals. Sadly the tide seems to have gone out on that kind of demotic carnival. See it in our Challenge Cup final, French finals, Canterbury, Wellington.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

But playing it at a stadium that holds 25,000 as a curtain raiser doesn’t do it any favours. If the ARL don’t give the GF much respect why should the fans? They could make a day of it with the women’s final and a lower grade final.


rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Recent Fox Memorial Grand Finals have been played at Mount Smart 2 & the Trusts Arena in West Auckland. Both are good facilities with a grandstand but both have an athletics track around the field. When the ARL sold Carlaw Park they made a mistake not finding a new central home ground for the sport in Auckland with facilities like a Scoreboard, Floodlights and a grandstand close to the playing field suitable for crowds of a couple of hundred to a few thousand.

Edited by kiwis 13 6
spelling an length
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, deluded pom? said:

But playing it at a stadium that holds 25,000 as a curtain raiser doesn’t do it any favours. If the ARL don’t give the GF much respect why should the fans? They could make a day of it with the women’s final and a lower grade final.

 

7 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Recent Fox Memorial Grand Finals have been played at Mount Smart 2 & the Trusts Arena in West Auckland. Both are good facilities with a grandstand but both have an athletics track around the field. When the ARL sold Carlaw Park they made a mistake not finding a new central home ground for the sport in Auckland with facilities like a Scoreboard, Floodlights and a grandstand close to the playing field suitable for crowds of a couple of hundred to a few thousand.

Some of this is subjective preference. I thought the GF at Mt Smart 1 came across better than at Mt Smart 2.

The ARL would argue, with some merit, that they were affording their GF greater prominence with Sky TV coverage. Something more likely to happen when the game is played at Mt Smart 1 before a Warriors game.

Hard to overestimate the downsides of a running track. First time I experienced that was at Don Valley, Sheffield. The game takes place in the middle distance, you neither get a good view of nor feel connected to it. Playing at Mt Smart 2 guarantees restricting the crowd to family and friends. Neutrals might as well stay at home and watch the Livestream.

Edited by unapologetic pedant
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah I hope the 2020 Grand Final is at Mount Smart main ground, ARL just needs to make the day more of an event to get a bigger crowd in... its not like there is any other rugby league happening locally this year. All I am saying is would be great if ARL had a moderately sized ground centrally located for Rugby League, like Canterbury's  Nga Puna Wai ground. But they dont and it would cost a shitload so unlikely to happen.

Edited by kiwis 13 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Yeah I hope the 2020 Grand Final is at Mount Smart main ground, ARL just needs to make the day more of an event to get a bigger crowd in... its not like there is any other rugby league happening locally this year. All I am saying is would be great if ARL had a moderately sized ground centrally located for Rugby League, like Canterbury's  Nga Puna Wai ground. But they dont and it would cost a shitload so unlikely to happen.

I always make a point of looking in estate agent’s windows whenever I go anywhere to gauge what  sort of property you get for your money (don’t ask). When I was in Auckland in 2017 you didn’t much for your bucks anywhere central.   

  • Sad 1

rldfsignature.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The ARL do own their own grounds at Cornwall Park but it’s just a changing room and fields - partly because the well heeled neighbours won’t allow them to fence the fields or put up lights because it would prevent them walking their dogs on it. True story. The majority of club grounds are very poor facility wise and that’s in part due to a focus on spending funds on premier sides and a lack of coordinated central planning to drive up facility standards. About half I would say have some sort of outdoor terrace/seating but none really have a decent grandstand since Northcote’s was torn down. 
Re the early question re Papakura the word is they had hired ex Warrior Blake Ayshford as coach and he’d signed a load of players and when it all fell through they were left very short of players. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 06/08/2020 at 13:51, deluded pom? said:

Love the way Troy Hardy says "Bears".

Miscellaneous matter - After a week most Fox Memorial games have about 3k views on YouTube. The second half of last week`s Otahuhu/Pt Chevalier game suddenly shot up to 12k. No idea why.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...