NRL Match Thread Round 19 2021

• Replies 234
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

You watching the Sharks v Dogs @unapologetic pedant?

this is a game that definitely favours your stance on the blowout saga. Well maybe I’m biased as a Sharks man.

19 hours ago, Sports Prophet said:

I imagine most neutrals watching this game would be enjoying it.

Didn`t see these two posts amid the minor squalls on the other threads in the Australian section yesterday.

Obviously having a dog (or fish) in the fight is one factor which engages fans in any sporting contest. 

Only seen highlights of Sharks/Bulldogs. For me as a neutral, Shaun Johnson has always been a player who makes things happen. Those things won`t always be to the benefit of his own team, but games in which he is prominent are rarely dull.

Sadly, the game didn`t rate well on either FTA or Fox, which illustrates the influence of preconceptions based on shallow narratives. If the public, with the help of the media or amateur statisticians, have decided a game isn`t worth watching, it doesn`t matter how worth watching it turns out to be.

On 23/07/2021 at 11:30, DavidM said:

These obstruction calls are ridiculous , sitting there with a slide rule enforcing a black n white rule that has no bearing on the actual game 

The bunker often don`t mention obstruction in these calls. It would reveal how foolish this rule now is if they said a defender had been obstructed over pictures showing that nobody had been obstructed.

I`ve found this from 2013 on NRL.com under a heading "Running behind your own player".-

"The ball-carrier must not run behind an active block-runner and disadvantage the defensive line. There are instances where you can run behind your own player - if there is no disadvantage caused to the defensive line".

The last part of that has clearly gone right out of the window.

Archived