Time to go back to the original Super League idea?

9 minutes ago, yipyee said:

Or maybe one eyed fans who want to pretend Rugby is inferior are in greater numbers on here.. haha call yourself rugby fans.

The one place in the UK where rugby is king and you bunch pretend otherwise, what a sad lot

You keep posting drivel and assertions that have no factual basis. It is not our fault that you evidently don't know what you are talking about. When your premise is codswallop, like statements like the purpose of defining a national sport is that its the most popular, then you can't expect that to go unchallenged. 

Is there an accepted method of calculating what is the "national sport"?

If not, I suppose it depends on how you measure things. Depending on what criteria you choose, you can probably make a case for both football or rugby union being 'number one'.

35 minutes ago, Damien said:

You keep posting drivel and assertions that have no factual basis. It is not our fault that you evidently don't know what you are talking about. When your premise is codswallop, like statements like the purpose of defining a national sport is that its the most popular, then you can't expect that to go unchallenged. 

I expect to debate and be challenged but expect the challenge to be based on facts not some age old chip on the shoulder nonsense

7 hours ago, yipyee said:

For example if you say what music dp you like, but then most people will have never gone to watch the bands or acts they reem off. Same with soccer.

What an utterly ridiculous statement, music is audible sport is visual, I like a huge number of bands and listen to their music but don't see them. Rugby league I watch, mainly live. 

2 hours ago, yipyee said:

I expect to debate and be challenged but expect the challenge to be based on facts not some age old chip on the shoulder nonsense

You are not presenting an argument based on facts, your entire argument is based on untruths and opinions. When someone says things like there are only 2 professional football clubs in Wales, it is the national sport because its the most popular and that it is the only place in the UK that primary schools have rugby posts you are being far from factual.

Football gets considerably more spectators than Rugby Union for much of the year and has considerably more participants. That is before you even get to all the Welsh people that support English Football teams. Wales RU doesn't even have a team in the North of the country and the 4 teams it does have are struggling badly. They even went from 5 o 4 because they could not sustain 5.

Can you please tell me why Volleyball is the national sport of Sri Lanka, why Pato is the national sport of Argentina or Wrestling in Turkey? For goodness sake even Golf is the national sport in Scotland and Cricket in England. None of these are the most popular, some have very little popularity in those countries. It is quite clear that national sport and most popular are not the same thing.

As for primary schools these surveys show that more Welsh kids participated in Football than Rugby:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/534612/rugby-participation-rate-school-pupils-wales-uk/

https://www.statista.com/statistics/534582/football-participation-rate-school-pupils-wales-uk/

Edited by Damien

Been to Wales? Lived there.

Know Welsh people? In-laws are Welsh.

In-laws are enthusiastic RU supporters when Wales RU play against England RU, but have little idea what's going on. 

Based on my genuine—admittedly limited— knowledge, the national sport of Wales is Liverpool FC.

Edited by Stuff Smith
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1