IMG and Thunder

Phil W

I know it's being discussed on the main board but thought it might be good to have a thread on here.

What do people think of the proposals? Personally happy enough with them, losing Magic Weekend will be a blow but there's time to make that back in terms of attendances throughout the season.

Be interested to see others thoughts on it.

I like the proposals put forward by IMG.

It will be interesting to see which teams make up category A and category B, and to see where Thunder fit into these plans. I would imagine we will be category B, staying in the championship.

An effective return to licensing will give clubs more time and a clear set of criteria to aim for, instead of just filling their squads with big money overseas players in order to win promotion and have to jettison said players to reach quotas, which, will surely shift the needle towards developing their own talent, which can only be good for the longevity of the game in the UK, and potentially abroad.

I also like the proposals for the French sides, which will include a minimum number of domestic players per squad, which is to be determined, and can only be good for the growth of the French player pool.

All in all, I see the proposals as a positive and look forward to seeing how the future unfolds.

Edited by RunningRugbyRL
  • Like 1

Like everything the devil will be in the detail and it will be interesting to see the criteria and weighting for categories but suspect that we would be a strong B based on some of the off field aspects such as the link with Tynemet and promotion of D & I within the game.

• Like 1