16 Teams in the next World Cup!

Wow that’s a huge rise in numbers, obviously Fiji, Tonga & Samoa plus Wales but not sure where the other 4 teams will come from. It would be great if the USA were one of them.

Everything under the sun is in tune

But the sun is eclipsed by the moon

Ooof - so a team at the level of Brazil in the WC just gone will be in the top half of the teams??

I mean, I'm massively impressed by the effort and passion of the Amazonas, but going to 16 is growing way too much too quickly.

The only way this could even slightly work is if it also uses "supergroups", where the top ranked teams are mostly in the same group, then the next level and so. Otherwise, what are the Jillaroos going to do to teams 13 - 16?

3 hours ago, stookie said:

Ooof - so a team at the level of Brazil in the WC just gone will be in the top half of the teams??

I mean, I'm massively impressed by the effort and passion of the Amazonas, but going to 16 is growing way too much too quickly.

The only way this could even slightly work is if it also uses "supergroups", where the top ranked teams are mostly in the same group, then the next level and so. Otherwise, what are the Jillaroos going to do to teams 13 - 16?

While you have the obvious powerhouses who'll be in the final stages, I can see a lot of close matches (and a fair number of breakout stars) coming from the matches between the lesser/newer nations.

I don't think Brazil are #8 when you factor in the additional nations that are likely to be in the next World Cup. 

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson