Coleman to Widnes

Mark

The rumours are hes off to coach Widnes next year, if so I would sooner him go now and give someone else the last games to try and keep us up. He has seemed lacking in ideas these last few post match interviews 

• Like 1

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

I did not realise but Chris Hamilton former chairman / owner of Oldham is now a big cheese at Widnes - so he sacked Kear and Stuart Littler has been sacked by Oldham and rumour has it he's off the Widnes as their coach with Dennis Betts as director of rugby.

So I can't see the rumour about Alan Coleman being anything more than a rumour

In the article it says Coleman has been interviewed and is seen as favourite, think its from Matthew Shaw who is usually quite good when it comes to these things 

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Told you he was going, all announced and wrapped up 

mark.gif

Yes Mark you were correct.

I think its a gamble by Widnes as we have not  exactly set the Championship alight - maybe we should have done a coach swap earlier Colman to Widnes and Kear to us 🙂That does add more pressure for remainder of the season - not enough time to find a replacement............:(

• Like 1

I'm surprised that Swinton are keeping Coleman on until the end of the season. Surely there's a conflict of interest there. If Swinton get relegated then player availability for Widnes increases and player contract costs decrease due to the smaller number of clubs in the area (possibly just Widnes if Oldham don't get promoted). So it's in Coleman's interest for Swinton to go down.

I'm guessing that the club just can't afford to pay him off so would rather shoot themselves in the foot.

• Like 1

I would hope he wants to finish at Swinton on a high and that means Swinton avoiding relegation.

We already know we will be losing key players next season, Roby to York and Brogan to Leigh and no doubt a couple may follow the coach to Widnes, sadly its all part of the modern game..........

• Like 1

Rumours are Bennion is following to Widnes 

mark.gif

On 01/08/2023 at 13:54, Mark said:

The rumours are hes off to coach Widnes next year, if so I would sooner him go now and give someone else the last games to try and keep us up. He has seemed lacking in ideas these last few post match interviews 

18 hours ago, Mark said:

Rumours are Bennion is following to Widnes 

That’s why a coach needs naming now (asap) to get lads signed now. Most clubs will be doing or done business as we speak.

Any names been mentioned for coach?

I agree we need to retain the core of the team and rumours now aren't helpful as far as Bennion is concerned he doesn't look the player he was when he went to Rochdale

It would be great to announce a replacement coach - as you say that will encourage players to stay.................

• 3 weeks later...

Yes the press are saying Butty and Rhodri but no mention of Gregson or Badrock - in the meantime the club has not officially announced that Alan Kilshaw will replace Coleman - although Hunslet have already made a statement.

Also news in press that club is thinking about a name change again to Manchester probably as a result of the supporter questionnaire that went out a few weeks ago.

All of this is a distraction as the team needs to be focussed on beating Bradford tomorrow as a step towards remaining in the championship.

Rumour mill in full swing, can see why Badrock would go as Coleman brought him in from Leigh Miners. Hearing Lewis Hatton wants to come back next year 

mark.gif

I had him second in my player of the year voting, Rochdale have got a good signing 

Worries me for next season, I hope we have already recruited and just arent releasing names 

Edited by Mark

mark.gif

Sorry to see Kenny Baker go 😞

Can't see how we can start recruitment if we don't know if we will still be in the Championship - if the club tries to recruit on the basis we get relegated then  the budget will be smaller and how many championship players will want to play in League 1 - although Kenny Baker is ok with it............. 

Usually they offer 2 contracts or a release clause if we go down 

mark.gif

On 03/08/2023 at 08:50, Sainthamish said:

I'm surprised that Swinton are keeping Coleman on until the end of the season. Surely there's a conflict of interest there. If Swinton get relegated then player availability for Widnes increases and player contract costs decrease due to the smaller number of clubs in the area (possibly just Widnes if Oldham don't get promoted). So it's in Coleman's interest for Swinton to go down.

I'm guessing that the club just can't afford to pay him off so would rather shoot themselves in the foot.

After yesterdays result it looks like my conflict of interest suggestion could well be correct.  With Oldham failing to get promotion then Widnes could end up as the only club in the region in the championship if Swinton go down therefore, reducing the cost of players for Coleman and Widnes.

i think most fans feel the same, I couldn't go yesterday but all my friends seemed to suggest a lack of effort and an inability to execute any sort of game plan. With two games to go its probably too late to get rid, wish we had done when he first announced he was going, think its a disgrace he is doing Widnes videos while still Swinton coach

mark.gif