GARY THORNTON RE-SIGNS FOR 2024

GARY THORNTON RE-SIGNS FOR 2024

5320.jpg

Gary Thornton has signed a contraction extension, until the end of the 2024 season

Rochdale Hornets have extended the contact of coach Gary Thornton until the end of the 2024 season.

The vastly experienced former Batley, York, Doncaster and Hunslet boss has been overseeing a rebuild of the Hornets squad this season, offering opportunities to and developing a host of young players.

Thornton’s team have their play-offs fate in their own hands following Sunday’s 37-22 win over Midlands Hurricanes and with four Betfred League One matches to play.

Hornets chairman Andy Mazey says that Thornton continues to play an integral role in the overall vision of the club.

“We are absolutely delighted to extend Gary Thornton’s contract until at least the end of 2024,” Mazey said.

“Gary understands our vision for the club, its role in our community, and the way we are positioning ourselves for the exciting future of Rugby League, spearheaded by IMG and Rugby League Commercial.

“To deliver on that, it’s important the club has a solid plan in place with experienced people, a professional culture, stability, continuity and is building for the long-term, investing sensibly and sustainably.

“Sometimes in life, business, and sport you must go backwards to ultimately go forward. We are now in a much better place on and off the pitch than 12 months ago and are therefore able to be on the front foot and doing our business early for next year.

“Gary has the board’s full backing and support as we look to retain many of our talented young squad and recruit several experienced quality players to improve the team in 2024. Supporters can look forward to several further positive announcements in the days and weeks ahead.”

Thornton himself is delighted to have confirmed his future for 2024.

“I’d like to thank Andy and the board for giving me the opportunity to continue into 2024,” Thornton said.

“This season has been tough, being a bit of a transition period, but Andy has set out a clear progression path for the club, and I’m delighted and honoured to be a part of it.

“Whilst results and performances haven’t always been where we wanted them to be this season, we have seen some green shoots of progress from our young players, with promising signs of developing into really good players.

“Our next phase is to keep working with them to improve them further, but also to strengthen and enhance the team to be more competitive next season.

“Since I have been here I have been so impressed by the way Andy and the board, and new general manager Matt Rigby since he took over, go about their business. Their passion to be successful is infectious and I feel a real affinity toward what they are trying to achieve and to Rochdale Hornets.

“I’m also mightily impressed by the support from All Hornets and the band of hard working volunteers that underpin everything we are trying to achieve.

“They work tirelessly to support the club and their contributions are greatly appreciated.

“Whilst I’m really looking forward to next season already, we still have unfinished business to deal with this year. Hopefully we can end on a high note and get into the play-offs and make a big impact on them as we did last season.

“Thank you all for your continued and valued support.

See Gary & the lads in action this Sunday, as we take on Hunslet in our Blue Lights themed match. Tickets can be purchased here: Rochdale Hornets RLFC (hornetsrugbyleague.co.uk)