1895 - Bulls at Home

Indigogo

A big couple of games coming up for the club, starting with Bulls at home this Sunday.

The winner (or if we draw) will qualify from our 1895 group. 

You'd have to say Bulls are heavy favourites for this one. Whilst we beat them at home last season, both teams are considerably different in both playing and coaching personnel.

I've not heard of any injuries from last week's game so would expect a similar if not same team for Sunday. We could see Stead replaced on the bench, he didn't get many minutes against Hunslet so it seems to illogical to carry a utility back on the bench. Personally I'd play another middle, either Bailey or Lynam.

Hopefully we can continue to improve, we will certainly have to from the Hunslet game, and we can give a good account of ourselves. Fingers crossed for a bumper crowd as well!

It's a shame the that the game has divided quite a few fans with the passing of Jeremy Crowther and the LGBTQ history recognition weekend.

I know a few people that have said they will give the game a miss this weekend in respect of Jeremy. There has been the post about Jeremy passing and the black armbands been worn yet post after post about how special this weekend is with socks, flags and special guests etc. 

I personally will be there and really hope we put in a good injury free performance against them. Nothing better than shutting our neighbors up but as stated in the opening post we have gone completely different ways to where we were at the start of last season.

Everyone should be up for this one. Should be a good test for the players and I'm sure Matt Foster will find a few things out about his squad.

As has already been said I just hope for a good performance and attendance - A win would definitely be a bonus.

1 hour ago, Mr Hicks said:

It's a shame the that the game has divided quite a few fans with the passing of Jeremy Crowther and the LGBTQ history recognition weekend.

I know a few people that have said they will give the game a miss this weekend in respect of Jeremy. There has been the post about Jeremy passing and the black armbands been worn yet post after post about how special this weekend is with socks, flags and special guests etc. 

I personally will be there and really hope we put in a good injury free performance against them. Nothing better than shutting our neighbors up but as stated in the opening post we have gone completely different ways to where we were at the start of last season.

It's a difficult one and I do understand both sides of the argument, but I think the club have handled the situation reasonably well.

Planning for the Bulls game will have been weeks in the making. Stalls, Music Acts, DJ, High Profile people from the LGBTQ community in attendance, these will have been booked/paid for weeks ago safe in the knowledge of a good crowd and media attention being at Cougar Park. 

Jeremy's passing is very sad and clearly a great loss to the club. His dedication and commitment to Cougars over a long period of time rightly deserves recognising, and I believe that has and will continue to be done so. 

The club clearly couldn't forsee that Jeremy's passing would happen this week and it was probably just a bit too close to the Bulls game to give him the recognition he rightly deserves this week

I do understand people's point of view in regards to the regular posting about LGBTQ at such a sensitive time to many people, but I'm not sure if not posting and showing the best side of Cougars is the best way to go. I might be wrong, I'm sure everyone has a different opinion.

35 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Everyone should be up for this one. Should be a good test for the players and I'm sure Matt Foster will find a few things out about his squad.

As has already been said I just hope for a good performance and attendance - A win would definitely be a bonus.

A win would be massive and a real upset. Hopefully we can put in a performance and then see what happens. 

I suspect we won't see many, if any, changes from the 18 at Hunslet. He looks to have settled quickly on the best 18 from what we have available. You could argue Bishop and DFJ would come in and strengthen us but neither have been available yet.  One thing we aren't blessed with us a big squad, a couple of injuries and/or suspensions and we are down to untried kids.

5 hours ago, Indigogo said:

A win would be massive and a real upset. Hopefully we can put in a performance and then see what happens. 

I suspect we won't see many, if any, changes from the 18 at Hunslet. He looks to have settled quickly on the best 18 from what we have available. You could argue Bishop and DFJ would come in and strengthen us but neither have been available yet.  One thing we aren't blessed with us a big squad, a couple of injuries and/or suspensions and we are down to untried kids.

Agreed. I am a little suprised that there has been no comms from the club regarding DFJ.

41 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Agreed. I am a little suprised that there has been no comms from the club regarding DFJ.

If he's missing for the reason we all think he is, then I'm not sure that club are able to say anything other than what has already been said. DFJ continues to be at all our games in his club training gear.

I'm sure DFJ, the club and fans want it sorting and dealt with as quickly as possible but it's obviously out of our hands.

Although we lost, I was very happy with the overall performance and the team (and coaches) deserve a lot of credit for their efforts. 

I suppose the only question marks are surrounding our bench. We were second best when our forwards were interchanged. I'm not sure whether this was that the bulls improved when they made their interchanges or we dropped.

Great crowd which should have helped the clubs finances. I have to credit the bulls fans, they do travel in numbers and help to create a good atmosphere.

So overall very pleased.

52 minutes ago, Dovster said:

Great crowd which should have helped the clubs finances.

Yes your right but it should have been more.

I was queuing at the top gate. The queue was going back to garage forecourt. The big gate opened and the steward on the gate shouted anyone with pre paid tickets come this way. It probably started with genuine people going through then all of a sudden fans (Kly & Bfd) all pilled through the gate when they noticed tickets weren't been checked. I would say at least 60 or 70 people went through.

I'm not saying none had tickets but a lot didnt. I dont know how many times this happened as I can only speak for what I saw.

If 50 of that 70 that I saw go through didnt pay that's the best part of a £1k pounds lost.

The whole gate thing is a shambles on match days and has never been addressed last season and by the looks of things it wont be this season either.

On the game yes we have definitely improved our defence but would still like to see us move the ball more but hopefully this will come with game time.

Looking forward to the Fev game.

Yes your right but it should have been more.

I was queuing at the top gate. The queue was going back to garage forecourt. The big gate opened and the steward on the gate shouted anyone with pre paid tickets come this way. It probably started with genuine people going through then all of a sudden fans (Kly & Bfd) all pilled through the gate when they noticed tickets weren't been checked. I would say at least 60 or 70 people went through.

I'm not saying none had tickets but a lot didnt. I dont know how many times this happened as I can only speak for what I saw.

If 50 of that 70 that I saw go through didnt pay that's the best part of a £1k pounds lost.

The whole gate thing is a shambles on match days and has never been addressed last season and by the looks of things it wont be this season either.

On the game yes we have definitely improved our defence but would still like to see us move the ball more but hopefully this will come with game time.

Looking forward to the Fev game.

People knew there would be queuing today and were told to arrive in adequate time to enter the ground. I also was queueing at the top entrance but it was fast moving as it was just a simple scan of your ticket and you were in. I didn't see anyone getting in without tickets and if that happened then it is concerning. A good healthy crowd which hopefully boosts the bank a little. 

I'm not sure the turnstiles and queueing will be an issue after next week. We are not likely to see over 1500 unless Oldham bring loads, but I can't see it. Cornwall, Newcastle, Midlands will all be next to no away fans and the rest of the league one clubs won't bring 100s. 

On the game it's self, we played well in and were competitive throughout, which is what I wanted.  I think we really missed Hatton and his go forward off the bench. I also think losing Kes to injury is a big blow. Once Stead went to 9 they dominated through the middle and posted points. If we seriously want to be challenging for top spot we need to strengthen at 9. 

2 hours ago, Dovster said:

Although we lost, I was very happy with the overall performance and the team (and coaches) deserve a lot of credit for their efforts. 

I suppose the only question marks are surrounding our bench. We were second best when our forwards were interchanged. I'm not sure whether this was that the bulls improved when they made their interchanges or we dropped.

Great crowd which should have helped the clubs finances. I have to credit the bulls fans, they do travel in numbers and help to create a good atmosphere.

So overall very pleased.

Their bench made the difference. Having the ability bring on Smith, Okoro and Appo meant they dominated us for 10 mins on each side of half time, and that won them the game imo.

https://www.thetelegraphandargus.co.uk/sport/sportlatest/24137919.bradford-bulls-see-key-duo-banned-widnes-cup-clash/

Bradford fans who said they were unfairly penalised during the game. Looks like they were lucky no red cards were given on the day.

Yep they were lucky on the day not to be penalised. They could quite easily have been down to 12 men for 60 mins.