Giants gain revenge at Hull FC

Huddersfield Giants proved far too strong for a disappointing Hull FC at the KC Stadium tonight, winning and gaining revenge for their 0-19 home defeat by Hull in the opening game of the season in February.

Hull welcomed Marc Sneyd back into their team after a lengthy layoff, but the former Salford and Castleford halfback was unable to inspire his side to victory.

The Giants opened the scoring after ten minutes when Danny Brough spotted a gap in the Hull defence and made scoring look simple, and he converted his own try for a six-point lead.

Hull countered with three sets of tackles near the Giants’ line, but the visitors held them out and then Sneyd had to leave the field after being hurt in a tackle but returned five minutes later after having received attention to a facial injury.

The Giants then suffered a setback when Craig Huby received a yellow card for a high tackle on Jamie Shaul, but they shrugged it off as Ukama Ta’ai went over for their second try on 25 minutes, although Brough missed the conversion.

Hull suffered another blow when Josh Bowden suffered a leg injury and had to leave the field shortly before half-time.

Brough then put Wardle over for a try that was ruled out because of a forward pass.

But right on half-time Jamie Ellis followed up his own kick to touch down for the Giants’ third try after Steve Michaels fumbled it, and Brough’s goal made the score 0-16 at the break.

And they increased their lead after 57 minutes when Brough put Michael Lawrence through a gap, and although Brough couldn’t add the goal, the margin was now a formidable 20 points.

Hull finally got on the scoreboard when Michaels went in at the corner, although Sneyd couldn’t add the goal, and Giants winger Jermaine McGillvary completed the scoring on the final hooter, going in at the corner with Brough again unable to convert, for a final scoreline of 4-24.

A full report and photographs will feature in Monday’s edition of Rugby League Express.