Into the last four



East Hull will host Thornhill Trojans, and Fryston Warriors will entertain Myton Warriors in the semi-finals of the Xamax BARLA National Cup on Saturday 30 April.


There was high drama in the quarter-final clash between THATTO HEATH CRUSADERS and MYTON WARRIORS, which went the way of the visitors 25-24 after extra time.

Thatto were 22-12 ahead on 47 minutes and spurned a chance to kick a penalty from in front of the posts some three minutes later, instead opting to run the ball to no avail.

Myton hit back immediately through Jon Hobman, who crashed over for Ash James to convert.

It stayed that way until the closing stages, Lee James – who had had a `try’ ruled out a minute or two earlier for a forward pass – levelling matters on 76 minutes.

Kris Walker edged Myton ahead with a field goal two minutes into extra time, Ben Roberts swinging the issue back Thatto’s way with a penalty on 99 minutes. But the Heath were caught with 14 men on the field at the restart, Ash James landing what turned out to be the match-winning penalty – his fourth goal – from 40 metres.

Ryan Marrazza and Nathan Slater had crossed in the first half for the Warriors, the latter having first had a score ruled out, while the Crusaders had led through two tries and a goal for Ryan Heaton, touchdowns to Karl Dolan and Liam Quinn, and three Tom Rigby conversions.

FRYSTON WARRIORS, who recently clinched the Pennine League title, were too strong for Championship Division outfit MIRFIELD STAGS and cruised to a 42-12 victory.

The Stags, who had only lost one game this season, opened the scoring when Ross Hayden converted his own try, and were still in the frame at the break when the Warriors, inspired by Lee Land, had recovered to lead 16-6.

But it was pretty much one-way traffic in the second period. Wayne McHugh finished with four tries and a conversion in the success, Sean Gee crossed twice and there were touchdowns for Adam Rothwell, Jack Pickerill and Scott Horner. Andy Speake closed the ledger with a couple of conversions while Lewis Martin replied for Mirfield and Braden Hunter added the extras.

THORNHILL TROJANS made the long trip from Dewsbury to EGREMONT RANGERS and pulled off a remarkable 28-26 victory to knock the National Conference Premier Division team and current holders out of the competition, a try on 61 minutes by substitute George Woodcock proving to be the match-winner.

Egremont had caught Thornhill cold in the first minute, the Trojans being penalised at the kick-off and Matty Henson ploughing over from close range.

Matty Bewsher added the extras but Thornhill hit back immediately, Danny Ratcliffe charging a kick down and winning the race to the touchdown, Andrew Bates levelling with his conversion.

The Dewsbury outfit went in front when Sam Ratcliffe raced away from deep in his own territory before finding Danny Ratcliffe on his shoulder, the scrum-half sending Mindaugas Bendikas in for a score goaled by Bates.

Ryan Barnes completed a sweeping move as Egremont wasted little time in fighting back, and that try was followed by a touchdown for Henson.

Barnes also claimed his second touchdown in a sizzling home spell, Bewsher converting for a 20-12 lead, but Thornhill were back on level terms at the break, Danny Ratcliffe forcing his way over after good work by Liam Morley, Bates improving and landing a subsequent penalty.

Bewsher nosed Egremont ahead again on the restart with a coolly-taken penalty after Morley had been penalised for a foul tackle, only for Bates to respond in kind, despite having himself been the recipient of a poleaxing challenge.

Then came the important try from Woodcock, courtesy of incisive approach work by Luke Carter and Danny Ratcliffe. Bates landed his sixth goal, from out wide, to help establish a 28-22 lead, which was needed when Luke Charlton battered his way over in response for an unconverted score, leaving Rangers defeated despite having scored five tries to four.

Elsewhere, EAST HULL ground out a 24-20 victory at UPTON.


Saturday 26 March 2016


QUARTER-FINALS: Egremont Rangers 26 Thornhill Trojans 28; Fryston Warriors 42 Mirfield Stags 12; Thatto Heath Crusaders 24 Myton Warriors 25 (aet); Upton 20 East Hull 24.