NRL badboy Kenny Edwards insists his sole focus is new side Catalans – despite the fact he has an impending court case on the horizon back home in Australia.
Edwards made his debut for Les Dracs last Thursday as they advanced to the Challenge Cup semi-finals, with the forward impressing on his first hit-out as they beat Huddersfield.
However, Edwards – who was released by Parramatta after an off-field incident – still faces a Sydney court hearing next month amidst a charge of driving on a suspended licence.
He insists he doesn’t have to return home for that hearing, however, and said: “I don’t have to go back.
“It’s something I haven’t really thought about, I’ll speak with my lawyer when the time comes but right now, my focus is on Catalans.
“I understand why people are sceptical but I’ve got an opportunity with my young family to make a go of it with Catalans.
“I leave all the stuff in the NRL behind me and this is a way of making a fresh start.”
Edwards did admit he left Parramatta, with whom he had previously spent his entire career, with a heavy heart following a string of off-field misdemeanours.
He said: “Obviously it is disappointing, the way I left the NRL. I love my club at Parramatta so it was upsetting, but it was my own fault and I’ll move on from it. I’m now living in a beautiful part of the world, my kids get to see the world, so I’ve got to see the positives.
“It was a big decision, but I’m 28 now and I’ve played 80 games of NRL. I always planned to come over here at some point and while it came over a bit earlier than I would have liked, things happen for a reason and in rugby league, it’s a business.
“I’ve moved on from the NRL and I can’t wait to get back into training and get going with the Dragons.
“It’s a lot different to the NRL. It’ll take a bit of getting used to. The officiating is a bit different over here – a lot different, actually. You tend to get away with a lot more over here than you would in the NRL but saying that, it goes both ways.”