Radford relishes linking up with Evalds and Massey at Was

Castleford coach-in-waiting Lee Radford is looking forward to working with Niall Evalds and Nathan Massey after the pair penned contract extensions.

Fullback Evalds, 27, who signed a one-year deal on joining from Salford ahead of this season, is now under terms until 2023, with a further year’s option in the club’s favour.

And long-serving forward Massey, 31, who made his debut in 2007, also has the security of a further two years.

Evalds has scored three tries and recorded five assists in six appearances for Daryl Powell’s Tigers going into the home Super League meeting with Hull KR tonight (Monday).

“I’m delighted to get it sorted,” said the Halifax-born player, who registered more than 100 tries in eight seasons at Salford and is a member of Shaun Wane’s England training squad ahead of this year’s World Cup.

“The ambition of everyone at the club is to be challenging, we’ve got a great set of fans and that’s what they expect too.

“I think there is so much to improve on and build on. I don’t think the fans have seen the best of me yet but I’ll improve as we get our combinations right.

“To say that we’ve only lost one game, it’s pretty positive because there is so much we can improve on.”

Radford, who will replace Warrington-bound Powell next season and is being linked with a move for out-of-contract Hull KR forward George Lawler, said: “I really like what I’ve seen of Niall.

“He’s in contention at international level as well so hopefully he can put his best foot forward for a spot in the World Cup squad.

“I can’t wait to work with him, I like what he’s about as a brave fullback and he is a real threat on plays in and around the ruck.

“Nathan epitomises what Castleford are all about really. He is an honest, hardworking and does things that the untrained eye doesn’t see.

“He’s really tidy in and around the ruck and it’s because of players like him that Castleford have been as successful as they have been in seasons gone by.”

Forward Liam Watts will miss the Hull KR clash and Saturday’s trip to Warrington after being given a two-game suspension and £500 fine for dangerous contact in the Challenge Cup quarter-final win over Salford.

He was initially given a one-game ban, but it was doubled when the former Hull man, having entered a guilty plea, challenged the grading, an action an independent tribunal described as “frivolous”.

The above content is also available in the regular weekly edition of League Express, on newsstands every Monday in the UK and as a digital download. Click here for more details.