Wakefield face fixture dilemma

Wakefield will decide on Monday morning whether they will play their postponed game against Catalans that same evening, but it looks almost certain to be played later in the season as opposed to 24 hours on from the original scheduled date.
Trinity admitted on Sunday that after the effects of Storm Caira caused their game with the French side to be called off hours before kick-off, with standing water on the pitch one of several concerns, as well as supporter safety.
They immediately said they would consider Monday night as an option for the game, with Catalans extending their stay in the country on Sunday night by an extra day. That request came from the RFL.
Trinity chief executive Michael Carter (pictured) said: “We’ve been asked to consider whether we can play tomorrow, so we’ll make the call on Monday morning and make it as soon as possible so everyone can be catered for.”
However, it is understood to be extremely doubtful that a pitch covered in standing water will be ready just 24 hours later, meaning the possibility of the game being squeezed in later in the season.
A window such as the Challenge Cup semi-finals, should both teams be eliminated from the cup by then, is a possible date – but it adds an extra element of fixture congestion for a Catalans side already looking at a backlog.
Their game against St Helens next weekend has already been called off due to the Saints’ involvement in the World Club Challenge against Sydney Roosters, and the prospect of a second game to be rearranged is far from ideal for the Dragons.