• Please log in to reply
81 replies to this topic

#81 ParisSurtout

ParisSurtout
  • Coach
  • 3,956 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 27 2010, 03:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why should they be concerned??? surely the clubs should be??

They both should be. But the RFL is deeply involved in promoting the finals series and, presumably, receiving some financial return if a profit is made. Moreover these meagre crowds cast aspersions about the seriousness of the game in the minds of the sporting public.

I know that rugby league lacks the national profile in the UK that it has in half of Australia. But it should be able to generate some real excitement in the northern heartland at least, the way that the NRL finals series does, especially the penultimate week, in New South Wales and Queensland. I cannot help but point the finger at RFL marketing, as well as those at the RFL who decided the venues, for letting the game down by their failure to generate excitement in northern England.

Edited by ParisSurtout, 27 September 2010 - 07:15 PM.

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

#82 1976PMJwires

1976PMJwires
  • Coach
  • 9,640 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 07:21 PM

QUOTE (ParisSurtout @ Sep 27 2010, 08:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
They both should be. But the RFL is deeply involved in promoting the finals series and, presumably, receiving some financial return if a profit is made. Moreover these meagre crowds cast aspersions about the seriousness of the game in the minds of the sporting public.

I know that rugby league lacks the national profile in the UK that it has in half of Australia. But it should be able to generate some real excitement in the northern heartland at least, the way that the NRL finals series does, especially the penultimate week, in New South Wales and Queensland. I cannot help but point the finger at RFL marketing, as well as those at the RFL who decided the venues, for letting the game down by their failure to generate excitement in northern England.

The lack of a national profile is the real issue.
3 GF in a row with Leeds/ Saints and a recession hasn't helped.
top 8 for me is the real neagtive, but understand why....SKY.

IMHO Wigan / Saints this year will raise the profile and hopefully see a sell out.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users