Super League finals crowds are dire, especially compared to NRL

WEEK 1 (4 matches)

NRL Total: 92,605 Average: 23,151.5

SL Total: 48,187 Average: 12,046.75

WEEK 2 (2 matches)

NRL 26,476 23,459 Total: 49,935 Average: 24,967.5

SL 11,133 8,050 Total: 19,183 Average: 9,591.5

I expect that next week the contrast will be even worse.

Is the difference because of the recesssion in England?

The Aussies don't have a recession. The Australian economy is booming.

But why did the English average decline in the second (knockout round) week when the NRL average went up?

How does this compare with last year or previous years? The best recent comparison year would be 2007 when both economies were booming.

Unlike Oz RL is a minority sport in the football mad UK

FOXY.jpg

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Unlike Oz RL is a minority sport in the football mad UK

That is true.

But the games did not attract the regular season record equalling numbers that you would have expected for a sudden death penultimate game. Why did Knowsley Road not sellout? Perhaps the less affluent season ticket holders were absent, but that is bizarre for such an important match, which was known to be definitely the last for Knowsley Road.

I think that there is an economic factor influencing the home fans. But I also think that the lack of neutrality of the ground (and its poor condition) deterred many Huddersfield fans, and especially the "neutrals" from west of the Pennines, from going to Knowsley Road.

I would hope that come 2012 finals series games involving the likes of Wigan, Warrington and Salford but not St Helens, will be held at least at St Helens new ground even though I still prefer Reebok for its greater capacity. Similarly finals games involving any Lancashire or Cheshire clubs other than Salford could be held at Salford's new ground if Reebok is not chosen.

Edited by ParisSurtout

Le rugby a treize, c'est moi!

_____

Knowsley Road and Headingley not selling out is a worry, given the importance of the games. Headingley in particular - with about 3000 (sic) Wigan supporters there they had around 2000 fewer in the ground than the regular season average.

That is the most telling point of the comparison.

It is not just that the NRL gets more fans to its finals series than SL, it is also that NRL gets more fans for its finals series than for the regular season, while SL gets less fans for its finals series than for the regular season.

The RFL should be extremely concerned. But is it?

_____

That is the most telling point of the comparison.

It is not just that the NRL gets more fans to its finals series than SL, it is also that NRL gets more fans for its finals series than for the regular season, while SL gets less fans for its finals series than for the regular season.

The RFL should be extremely concerned. But is it?

Why should they be concerned??? surely the clubs should be??

Why should they be concerned??? surely the clubs should be??

They both should be. But the RFL is deeply involved in promoting the finals series and, presumably, receiving some financial return if a profit is made. Moreover these meagre crowds cast aspersions about the seriousness of the game in the minds of the sporting public.

I know that rugby league lacks the national profile in the UK that it has in half of Australia. But it should be able to generate some real excitement in the northern heartland at least, the way that the NRL finals series does, especially the penultimate week, in New South Wales and Queensland. I cannot help but point the finger at RFL marketing, as well as those at the RFL who decided the venues, for letting the game down by their failure to generate excitement in northern England.

Edited by ParisSurtout

_____

They both should be. But the RFL is deeply involved in promoting the finals series and, presumably, receiving some financial return if a profit is made. Moreover these meagre crowds cast aspersions about the seriousness of the game in the minds of the sporting public.

I know that rugby league lacks the national profile in the UK that it has in half of Australia. But it should be able to generate some real excitement in the northern heartland at least, the way that the NRL finals series does, especially the penultimate week, in New South Wales and Queensland. I cannot help but point the finger at RFL marketing, as well as those at the RFL who decided the venues, for letting the game down by their failure to generate excitement in northern England.

The lack of a national profile is the real issue.

3 GF in a row with Leeds/ Saints and a recession hasn't helped.

top 8 for me is the real neagtive, but understand why....SKY.

IMHO Wigan / Saints this year will raise the profile and hopefully see a sell out.