Rugby League World Issue 402

Try our Fantastic 5-Issue Bundle Offer! For just £18, a saving of 10% on the regular cover price, you’ll get:
The Play-offs Issue - pictured (out 12 Sept) – Covering the climax of the Super League & Championship seasons
The Grand Finals Issue (out 17 Oct) – Grand Final excitement from both sides of the world plus Four Nations preview
The Four Nations Issue (out 21 Nov) – Fantastic coverage of the Four Nations tournament down under
The Golden Boot Issue (out 19 Dec) – A look back at the 2014 season plus the big reveal of the winner of the Golden Boot
The 2015 Season Preview Issue (out 23 Jan) – How will your team perform in 2015? We preview every club.

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

Widnes Vikings

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 Viking Warrior

Viking Warrior
  • Coach
  • 5,130 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:22 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 23 2010, 12:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Blows keyboard warriors Yorkshire argument though biggrin.gif

why? no lancastrian worth his salt will admit to wigan being in lancashire.................unless they are playing a yawkshure club of course. cool.gif
"Why is Napoleon crying ?" said one sailor to the other, "poor ###### thinks he's being exiled to st helens" came the reply.

https://scontent-a-l...276002364_n.jpg

#22 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,307 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:51 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 23 2010, 04:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
why? no lancastrian worth his salt will admit to wigan being in lancashire.................unless they are playing a yawkshure club of course. cool.gif

It's YORKSHIRE,you illiterate Lancastrian rolleyes.gif
Once you have tasted excellence,you cannot go back to mediocrity.

#23 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 03:55 PM

QUOTE (1976PMJwires @ Sep 23 2010, 07:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Why Pie ??? Do please tell all.

It is my view that Widnes having ticked the boxes and secured a franchise have taken a very selfish (but sensible) strategy of trying to develop potential SL players for their future. As a result playing standards at Widnes have dropped in 2010 and will perhaps continue to do so in 2011 with the release of club stalwarts such as Mark Smith. I like Widnes and will be overoyed when they join the SL. Their first team has ex Wigan players. Their successful U18s has numerous Wigan youngsters so I always look out to see how they are progressing. So, On field I think in 2010 Widnes have a big minus against them.

I still believe playing standards are very important

On that front Batley in 2010 was a fairytale and deserves more recognition that it has been given. Likewise Featherstone have been head and shoulders above the rest of the Championship and are doing so with some outstanding young home grown talent. Success and home grown player development should be trumped up at every opportunity by the RFL and hence Featherstone deserve more credit. I daresay Featherston do a lot community wise to not far from what Widnes offer.

Wigan is historical Lancashire BTW. Well part of it was. So Wigan is Lancashire.

#24 LOWFIELD

LOWFIELD
  • Featherstone Rovers Forum
  • 3,823 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:30 PM

QUOTE (Viking Warrior @ Sep 23 2010, 12:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
they can't comprehend why widnes won the award because of the excellent way in which the club is run including the community work being done...................they are from yorkshire after all!! happy.gif

We all know why Widnes won the award lets not pretend, no one is fooled, it is because when they are awarded the licence it wont look as bad for the RFL, they can say they gave it to the club of the year, please stop all the bull shiiiite everyone knows why

#25 Maximus Decimus

Maximus Decimus
  • Coach
  • 7,709 posts

Posted 23 September 2010 - 05:39 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 23 2010, 04:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It is my view that Widnes having ticked the boxes and secured a franchise have taken a very selfish (but sensible) strategy of trying to develop potential SL players for their future. As a result playing standards at Widnes have dropped in 2010 and will perhaps continue to do so in 2011 with the release of club stalwarts such as Mark Smith. I like Widnes and will be overoyed when they join the SL. Their first team has ex Wigan players. Their successful U18s has numerous Wigan youngsters so I always look out to see how they are progressing. So, On field I think in 2010 Widnes have a big minus against them.

I still believe playing standards are very important

On that front Batley in 2010 was a fairytale and deserves more recognition that it has been given. Likewise Featherstone have been head and shoulders above the rest of the Championship and are doing so with some outstanding young home grown talent. Success and home grown player development should be trumped up at every opportunity by the RFL and hence Featherstone deserve more credit. I daresay Featherston do a lot community wise to not far from what Widnes offer.

Wigan is historical Lancashire BTW. Well part of it was. So Wigan is Lancashire.

Widnes spent up to the cap. Playing standards haven't dropped for any other reason than being in an extremely competitive league with many clubs spending the same amount. If we all spend the same then inevitably some teams will be better than others despite any other outside influences such as crowds or finances.

I don't believe Widnes should have been given club of the year but then again I've no idea what they based it on or how much detail they went into.

#26 Allan Marsden

Allan Marsden
  • Banned
  • 433 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:42 PM

Maximus IMO and I know some Widnes fans think the same that having ticked the box for playing standards the commitment and desire throughout 2010 has been lacking and was certainly less than would have been had Widnes still been striving to tick that box. Widnes this season remind me of numerous team when we had the double season switching from Winter to Summer RL. Motivation has simply been badly lacking. Fans might say ah but Paul Cullen was missing but in many respects the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Paul Cullen should have galvanised the team.

#27 tonyXIII

tonyXIII
  • Coach
  • 4,985 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (Allan Marsden @ Sep 24 2010, 09:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maximus IMO and I know some Widnes fans think the same that having ticked the box for playing standards the commitment and desire throughout 2010 has been lacking and was certainly less than would have been had Widnes still been striving to tick that box. Widnes this season remind me of numerous team when we had the double season switching from Winter to Summer RL. Motivation has simply been badly lacking. Fans might say ah but Paul Cullen was missing but in many respects the unfortunate circumstances surrounding Paul Cullen should have galvanised the team.

I don't get your problem. Widnes didn't need to win the league this year, so they were merely 'competitive'. They weren't far off, anyway! I expect them to go out (of the Championship) with a bang next year, while building for SL. Featherstone have a long-term strategy, which they are pursuing well. It's even possible that they might be offered a place in SL next July (okay, unlikely; but possible) and are making sure they tick every box possible. A nice plan of an upgraded stadium might be the only thing they lack. wink.gif

Rethymno Rugby League Appreciation Society
Founder (and, so far, only) member.

#28 dallymessenger

dallymessenger
  • Coach
  • 20,928 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 03:29 AM

QUOTE (Bomb Jack @ Sep 22 2010, 10:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Widnes Vikings were named as Club of the Year at the annual Co-operative Celebration Dinner in Manchester last night (21 Sept).

Even suprised me this one. Obviously they don't just take on-field performances into account.

a prelude to the franchise decision.

#29 Bomb Jack

Bomb Jack
  • Coach
  • 2,020 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 07:01 AM

QUOTE (tonyXIII @ Sep 24 2010, 10:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
A nice plan of an upgraded stadium might be the only thing they lack. wink.gif

Well it worked for Salford ohmy.gif tongue.gif wink.gif
Widnes - Super League's newest Club, and Cheshire's Original Glamour Club. Watch out Warrington, we're back !

#30 goldcoaster

goldcoaster
  • Coach
  • 2,750 posts

Posted 27 September 2010 - 08:34 AM

Widnes in and Wakey out in 2012. Its nailed on. Everybody knows that's the case.

The RFL should announce it now, so the Vikings have a good 12 months to prepare properly so they are competitive in their first season back in SL in 2012.
Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users