England 17 for the opening game

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#41 getdownmonkeyman

getdownmonkeyman
  • Coach
  • 1,816 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:05 AM

If Sinfield doesn't play, where does the kicking game come from?

For mine, Tomkins has to play in the halves. Putting him at fullback, isolates far too much. As has been mentioned, he would get pinpointed and all the traffic would be put at him, rendering him knackered and ineffective. In an ideal world, a structured, organising scrum half would be an ideal foil. The only one I can think of is Deacon, it would certainly address the kicking game also, but is this a retrograde step too far?

#42 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 09:08 AM

QUOTE (dallymessenger @ Sep 29 2010, 06:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
cant be bothered finding the other thread but thurston is out with injury.

mitchell pearce or todd carney will be the aussie half back, or cronk

http://www.sportingl..._Australia.html

Cronk and Carney would work or Cronk + Lockyer with Carney on the Bench who offers far more than Gidley.

#43 Tex Evans Thigh

Tex Evans Thigh
  • Coach
  • 1,685 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 11:46 AM

Our problem does seem to be in the halves and it does worry me.

Tomkins has played his best stuff at full back and we dont really have one at the moment. FB is the most attacking position so it makes sense to have our most attacking player play there.

Every year it seems there is a need to explain what a FB does. It isnt a defensive position!!!!!!!!!!!!

How can you send traffic at someone who is behind the line??????????????????????????? FB is the most protected position on the field!!

Having said that weve got no halves, so he might have to play there with Widdop at FB who will prob do a good job.

Other options:

Sinfield - Big NO at 6. Doesnt take the line on, hips never square, no threat and too lateral. 9 if hes going to play.

Myler - maybe but cant get in wire team

Brown - Decent season might not be a bad option

Robinson - as above

Burrow - has the experience but poor form

And thus were struggling!!

Id go with:

Widdop
Briscoe Atkins Gleeson Hall
Tomkins Brown
Morley Lunt Graham
Burgess Ellis
o'Loughlin

Westwood, Tomkins, Roby, a.n. other

Squad - Sinfield, Shenton, Cudjoe, Fox, Robinson, Lynch, Crabtree, Harrison
Formerly Alistair Boyd-Meaney

fifty thousand Poouunds from Keighley...weve had im gid."

Posted Image
MIPM Project Management and Business Solutions "
Discounts available for forum members contact me for details

#44 Brigg Rover

Brigg Rover
  • Coach
  • 1,985 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 12:01 PM

QUOTE (AndyCapp @ Sep 29 2010, 06:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Maybe but.. fine players that they are Cambell and Bowen are no longer at the top of their game, Preston is 33 years old and has never reached State selection let alone Test and Bowen had a very limited Test career against the likes of the USA over 6 years ago.

Slater 5 ft 10 in & 13 st 8 lb
Hayne 6 ft 2 in & 16 st 1 lb
Boyd 6 ft 1 in & 14 st 13 lb
Coote 5 ft 10 in & 13 st 5 lb
Minichiello 5 ft 11 in & 14 st 5 lb
Dugan 6 ft 2 in & 13 st 12

Tomkins 5 ft 10 in & 12 st 2 lb

Sam looked far less effective last year in the Four Nations final as a half when his obvious big step had been noted and allowed for.

Scoring more points than any team you play wins the game, but if you do not restrict the points Australia puts on you the chances of blowing them off the field with your own attack is an unlikely outcome.
An open expansive game on dry Australian pitches will not work against their structured defense and pace they posses to outplay them at their own game.

Tomkins defense against Scott Donald in a recent game did not give me the confidence in his ability that you have.
Tomkins would not be as fast as half of the Oz fullbacks mentioned above over more than a short sprint, Hayne and Boyd are nearly the fastest players in the NRL.

Play Sam in the Halves and blood a new player at Fullback.

All the top NRL sides are playing their best "maverick" player at full back, Tomkins is our best maverick player. We cant out defend them we have to out attack them to stand any chance.

#45 Storm

Storm
  • Coach
  • 628 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:14 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 29 2010, 07:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
And he has switched back to Scotland again.

Yeah so I've just seen in RLE from 2 weeks ago... Sorry. I'd pick Burrow or Myler, not sure which, not that happy with either really.

#46 Rogues Gallery

Rogues Gallery
  • Coach
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:14 PM

I would take Darrell Goulding as a squad player. He has been excellent for Wigan this season and can cover centre and wing positions.

#47 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (Storm @ Sep 29 2010, 03:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah so I've just seen in RLE from 2 weeks ago... Sorry. I'd pick Burrow or Myler, not sure which, not that happy with either really.

At least Burrows had some game time recently,something Myler hasn't.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#48 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,688 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:42 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 29 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

To be fair, he has only actually missed two games. Admittedly they were two of the biggest of the season, but he has still been playing.

#49 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,592 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:44 PM

QUOTE (Dave T @ Sep 29 2010, 04:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To be fair, he has only actually missed two games. Admittedly they were two of the biggest of the season, but he has still been playing.

It wasn't a dig,it just seems strange for Tony Smith to drop him at the sharp end of the season.
Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#50 Lee

Lee
  • Coach
  • 5,115 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 03:59 PM

QUOTE (terrywebbisgod @ Sep 29 2010, 04:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'd have Robinson over Burrow, been in superb form this season, interchange at 7 or 9, defence has come on leaps and bounds too

A lot of Yorkshiremen believe that when God created the world, he made it with perfect balance.
He balanced the hot areas with the cold areas. the dry areas with the wet areas.
And, in creating Yorkshire, he created the most glorious place on earth - full of majestic beauty and sporting giants.........and for balance he created....... Lancashire.

#51 petero

petero
  • Coach
  • 2,833 posts

Posted 01 October 2010 - 08:07 PM

I am amazed at the inclusion from so many, of Cudjoe. I have no dislike of him, on the contrary, but if he is amongst the best we can come up with in the threequarters then I would go with Hannibal ( for gods sake!!) and say stay at home and let the other three Nations contest the comp alone.

No disrespect to Cudjoe but in the strictest of terms he is NOWHERE near to being good enough! That said then, I would probably expect to see McNamara take him!
Same goes for Myler too.

Eastmond simply cannot be risked. It is clearly obvious that he needs time to recover from his injuries and another player will, albeit reluctantly, have to take his place.

Burrow would seem the obvious alternative but in Wigans first finals match V Leeds, I took particular notice of when Wigan lost their cohesiveness in that match and surprisingly that was when Deacon left the field. I don't know whether he played in the semi as I was away on holiday, but he did and does possess all the experience required and as someone else noted, is probably the best long kicker we have. Just a thought.

I also thought that Burrow had an excellent game in the same match. Robinson has to have some some claim also and he can do Hooker well to, if necassary.

No one can deny that Sinfield had his finest rep games at hooker in last years comp, but can he repeat it?
S/O for him and, the team would be suicidal, again a possible cue for Mac?
I know he will be a squad member but Lunt and Roby would take the hooker roles for me, both have impetus and dynamism and those qualities are what are required to upset the Aussies and the Kiwi's.

Tomkins (S) would have been my F/B with Eastmond fit, but I fear he will have to now be in the halves, no fears there the lad has the greatest quality any R/L player can have in abundance: Heart; and one of a lion at that.

If its not to be Widdop then there is only one other choice, love or hate him, but the most reliable, wholehearted and vastly experienced Paul Wellens quite simply, has to be there.

First named being first choice.
Wellens/Widdop

Goulden/Hall
Gleeson
Shenton
Briscoe

Tomkins
Deacon/Burrow

Burgess
Lunt
Fielden
Ellis
Tomkins
O'Loughlin

Roby
Morley
Westwood
Graham

others

Sinfield
Hall
Atkins
Robinson

That is I believe as good a twenty three players as we can muster presently. Coley, Bridge, Crabtree, Brown, Murrell all have claims too and I would have no argument with any of those being included.

Yet the coach could surprise us all with his choices and really nothing he does would come as a surprise, a
shock, possibly, but not a surprise.

#52 Optimus

Optimus
  • Coach
  • 754 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 06:11 PM

It's taken me till half time in the GF but here goes.

I've gone with club partnerships in the backs as I feel very few of our backs are world class and so this will give us some missing cohesion.

Tompkins

Goulding
Gleeson
Senior
Hall

Brown
Robinson

Morley
Sinfield
Graham
Ellis
Burgess
O'loughlin

Fielden
Lynch
Westwood
Roby

Players who may be sorry to miss out.

Shenton would play him outside Senior but I feel he isn't experienced enough as Gleeson or Senior to play with a relatively junior international winger as Hall or Briscoe.

Briscoe, see above, although I would play him outside senior also.

J. Tompkins, gives away a few too many penalties and I feel the experience of Westwood would prevail.

Flanagan, if only for confidence of playing in the NRL, not saying he is any better than the other back rowers we have but the fact he plays against the opposition week in week out could be in his favour.

Pryce, I'd have no quams playing him outside Gleeson.

Carvell, Crabtree, I just feel Lynchy deserves a crack at them and can't see how either of the two aforementioned players offer any thing better. Maybe Crabtree's offload game?

Widdop, not seen enough of him to pip Tompkins and Tompkins plays with Goulding and Gleeson so would hopefully link better.

Have fun ripping it apart. laugh.gif
"Rugby league is a simple game played by simple people. Rugby union is a complex game played by w@nk*rs"
Laurie Dailey

#53 saintfrank

saintfrank
  • Coach
  • 311 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:04 PM

cant understand those who dont want Graham....Yes he can winge a bit, but he has made more yards than any other forward in the league this season playing in a weakened team. Senior has been a good servant, but think its time to replace him with the likes of Shenton..Bound to say this, but Wellens, even with shortage of pace, has been as good as any full back this season..
Saints Fan from 47 through good and bad times

#54 BringBacktheBiff

BringBacktheBiff
  • Coach
  • 197 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:26 PM

Shame Danny Brough decided to declare himself for Scotland. Would have had a real shout given the injuries. My team would be:-

1. S Tomkins
2. Hall
3. Atkins
4. Gleeson
5. Goulding
6. Sinfield
7. Burrow
8. Morley
9. Clarke
10. Burgess
11. Ellis
12. J Tomkins
13. Sinfield

14. Lunt
15. Graham
16. Flanagan
17. Crabtree

#55 boxhead

boxhead
  • Coach
  • 3,232 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 10:31 PM

QUOTE (Optimus @ Oct 2 2010, 07:11 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's taken me till half time in the GF but here goes.

I've gone with club partnerships in the backs as I feel very few of our backs are world class and so this will give us some missing cohesion.

Tompkins

Goulding
Gleeson
Senior
Hall

Brown
Robinson

Morley
Sinfield
Graham
Ellis
Burgess
O'loughlin

Fielden
Lynch
Westwood
Roby

Players who may be sorry to miss out.

Shenton would play him outside Senior but I feel he isn't experienced enough as Gleeson or Senior to play with a relatively junior international winger as Hall or Briscoe.

Briscoe, see above, although I would play him outside senior also.

J. Tompkins, gives away a few too many penalties and I feel the experience of Westwood would prevail.

Flanagan, if only for confidence of playing in the NRL, not saying he is any better than the other back rowers we have but the fact he plays against the opposition week in week out could be in his favour.

Pryce, I'd have no quams playing him outside Gleeson.

Carvell, Crabtree, I just feel Lynchy deserves a crack at them and can't see how either of the two aforementioned players offer any thing better. Maybe Crabtree's offload game?

Widdop, not seen enough of him to pip Tompkins and Tompkins plays with Goulding and Gleeson so would hopefully link better.

Have fun ripping it apart. laugh.gif

I thought Senior was retired.

#56 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,476 posts

Posted 02 October 2010 - 11:31 PM

1 Widdop
2 Hall
3 Gleeson
4 Atkins
5 Briscoe
6 S Tomkins
7 Robinson
8 Morley
9 Sinfield
10 Graham
11 Ellis
12 Westwood
13 O Loughlin

14 Fielden
15 Lynch
16 Roby
17 Burgess

squad: Shenton, Burrow, J Tomkins, Lunt, Crabtree, Flanagan, Goulding
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users