Rugby League World Issue 400 - Out Now!

RUGBY LEAGUE WORLD MAGAZINE - ISSUE 400 - OUT NOW!
84 pages, 38 years of history from Open Rugby to the present day.
Click here for the digital edition to read online via smartphone, tablet and desktop devices including iPhone, iPad, Android & Kindle HD.
Click here to order a copy for delivery by post. Annual subscriptions also available worldwide.
Find out what's inside Issue 400
/ View a Gallery of all 400 covers / WH Smith Branches stocking Issue 400
Read Jamie Jones-Buchanan's Top 5 RLW Interviews including Marwan Koukash, Lee Briers, Gareth Thomas, Steve Ganson & Matt King OBE

League Express

Podcast

Photo
- - - - -

classic commentaries

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#21 deluded pom?

deluded pom?
  • Coach
  • 8,547 posts

Posted 24 September 2010 - 06:31 PM

There used to be a double act on Radio Blunderside many years ago called Stan Hall and Peter Ward. Once whilst commentating from Craven Park on a perfectly normal day weatherwise Stan couldn't quite make out who had scored a try for Hull KR. Initially he thought it had been Roger Millward then changed it to Phil Hogan. the eventual tryscorer was actually Clice Sullivan!!! He'd confused a 5 foot 4 back, a 15 stone forward and a black winger.

rldfsignature.jpg

#22 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:40 PM

I still think Ray French's best effort was during a Challenge Cup tie at Knowseley Road a couple of years ago.

Leon Pryce had just sidestepped the opposition's full back to score a cracking try.

Ray uttered the immortal words "He can certainly beat a man".

Leon was on trial for assault at the time.

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

#23 Brendon Scooter

Brendon Scooter
  • Coach
  • 53 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 12:58 PM

I remember Ray French commentating on the 2nd Ashes Test in 1990 (I think) - As Ettingshausen was being caught he kicked the ball forward prompting Ray to say "Oh why did he do that?". A second or so later as Cliff Lyons picked up the ball and scored a try he said "Well, that's possibly why..." !!!

I miss those old Ashes tours and tests. I loved the Saturday 3pm kick-offs in the autumn.

#24 Derwent

Derwent
  • Coach
  • 7,792 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 01:05 PM

"Every time we come to Headingley there is a dog on the pitch. Why oh why people bring dogs to Rugby games, I'll never know!"

Workington Town. Then. Now. Always.

#25 Jill Halfpenny fan

Jill Halfpenny fan
  • Coach
  • 4,448 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 08:22 PM

QUOTE (Trojan @ Sep 24 2010, 09:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There used to be a commnetator on Radio Leeds called Jack Wainwright, and I remember him saying "all these great Leeds moves are coming off John Homes's balls"
Sadly both are no longer with us.

Jack Wainwright, a man who could make DDD sound impartial.

Another Wainwright gem prior to an Australian tour game:

"Leeds and the Australians, two of the best teams in the world", Leeds went on to lose by about 40 points.
Just because you think everyone hates you doesn't mean they don't.

#26 Segovia Carpet

Segovia Carpet
  • Coach
  • 1,418 posts

Posted 25 September 2010 - 10:31 PM

A Waring special from a Fllodlit Rugby league match - 8pm in November -

`And as you can see the shadows are lengthening`

#27 Old Frightful

Old Frightful
  • Coach
  • 12,653 posts

Posted 26 September 2010 - 07:13 AM

QUOTE (Jill Halfpenny fan @ Sep 25 2010, 09:22 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Jack Wainwright, a man who could make DDD sound impartial.

biggrin.gif

I met Jack Wainwright once before Hull Played Barrow in a John Player Trophy semi final at Headingley.

He was just another guy in the street to ask for pub directions as far as I was concerned, but as we were walking in the same direction he started asking me what was wrong at Hull, as we'd lost a few of late. I told him we shouldn't have made Steve Norton captain as it was affecting his game. As Jack was talking, I suddenly recognised his voice. He seemed quite pleased that I knew who he was.

Oh, and Barrow beat us, 10-8 if memory serves. rolleyes.gif

NO BUTS IT'S GOT TO BE BUTTER......                                 Z1N2MybzplQR6XBrwB9egniMH8xqYQ5s.jpg                                                                                                                     

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users