TotalRL.com Shop Alert: Last Ordering Date for Free Pre-Xmas Delivery within UK: 2pm Thursday 18th December!!
Rugby League Yearbook 2014/15 The Forbidden Game League Express League Express Gift Card Rugby League World Rugby League World Gift Card
Buy Now £14.99 Buy Now £14.99 / Kindle Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards Print / Digital Subscription Gift Cards

Photo
- - - - -

Players who could/should have been great.

• Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#21 scrape_goose

scrape_goose
  • Coach
  • 1,448 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (Wolford6 @ Sep 29 2010, 01:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Northern / Bulls:
Daio Powell
Gary van Bellen
Joe Simpson

Good players for other clubs but I thought they were going to be really special
Paul King
Bob Roberts

Joe Simpson, he didn't even play for 1st team did he? How about Glenn Barraclough?
Nigel Whitehouse at Halifax

#22 Dave T

Dave T
  • Coach
  • 15,831 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Sep 29 2010, 01:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Warrington weren't a major force at the time. Wigan was just for one season (IIRC) - I don't know why he left. I remember him best as Oldham's 'super-sub', when he used to change games, coming off the bench.

Yeah, I think it was ultimately injuried that did him. Warrington had a half decent team at the time (late 80's) and had he reached his potential we could have been better. His career with us was interrupted and then he signed for Wigan, and I'm not sure whether he was always just third or fourth choice or whether he had further injuries.

#23 JackBauer

JackBauer
  • Players
  • 21 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:07 PM

QUOTE (The Clan @ Sep 29 2010, 01:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony Myler - The original Nigel Wright, he had everything:
Big defence, athleticism, decent speed, physicality, a step and superb hands.

Despite a superb career and some topperformances for GB his career was interupted and eventually cut short by injuries and he never reached his full potential

Tony Myler was great. To even talk about Nigel Wright in the same breath is crazy.
Tony Myler had the best hands you could ever wish to see and, if it wasn't for his unluckiness with injuries he would have been an all time great.
His one spell in Australia with Balmain had the Aussies drooling and, if he'd been able to play more games, they would have been asking Wally who? when talking about great stand-offs.
Tony Myler is the God of stand-offs - and please don't anyone talk about Shaun Edwards or Garry Schofield as being fit to lace his boots.

#24 terrywebbisgod

terrywebbisgod
  • Coach
  • 8,625 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:12 PM

QUOTE (JackBauer @ Sep 29 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tony Myler was great. To even talk about Nigel Wright in the same breath is crazy.
Tony Myler had the best hands you could ever wish to see and, if it wasn't for his unluckiness with injuries he would have been an all time great.
His one spell in Australia with Balmain had the Aussies drooling and, if he'd been able to play more games, they would have been asking Wally who? when talking about great stand-offs.
Tony Myler is the God of stand-offs - and please don't anyone talk about Shaun Edwards or Garry Schofield as being fit to lace his boots.

You are joking?
He was good but not THAT good.

Edited by terrywebbisgod, 29 September 2010 - 01:21 PM.

Cannibal chiefs chew Camembert cheese,cos chewing keeps them cheeky.

#25 The Best The Beautiful The Only

The Best The Beautiful The Only
  • Coach
  • 1,576 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:13 PM

Craig Huby. TBF.

#26 Roy Boy

Roy Boy
  • Coach
  • 2,742 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (JackBauer @ Sep 29 2010, 02:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I remember Myler - a good player - hardly a Roger the Dodger though! tongue.gif
Money can't buy you happiness!
It can buy you beer and that's a bit like happiness in a glass!

"I like pigs. Dogs look up to us. Cats look down on us. Pigs treat us as equals."
Sir Winston Churchill

Some folks are wise and some are otherwise!
Tobias Smollett

"I distrust camels, and anyone else who can go a week without a drink."
Joe E Lewis

"Look at the ffing state of that"!
My mate on the Avenue last Friday whilst pointing to a scantily clad young lady and spitting a mouthful of beer out!

#27 clement

clement
  • Coach
  • 567 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:19 PM

ellery hanley.if only he had been a fluent passer of the ball he could have been a legend.

#28 steef

steef
  • Coach
  • 1,480 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:54 PM

QUOTE (Futtocks @ Sep 29 2010, 12:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
He had a hell of a boot on him. I remember a televised Challenge Cup match against Warrington, when he took a drop out under the posts. It landed closer to the opposition's tryline than some of the kickoffs in that match!

when he played at oldham he took a drop out that actualy hit the posts at the other end of the pitch, if it hadn't it would have gone dead, it had bounced first but I've never seen anyone kick a ball so far.
"surely they've got to try somthing different now, maybe the little chip over the top?2

http://www.flickr.com/photos/stufod/

http://www.facebook....156268557729980

#29 Lounge Room Lizard

Lounge Room Lizard
  • Coach
  • 6,570 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 01:56 PM

Lee Milner- Lee was on the Great Britain Academy Under 18s tour of Australia in the late 90s and tipped to be a star. He won man of the series and signed for Huddersfield Giants from Greetland Allrounders, then later Home town club Halifax. I was fortunate to play in the sasme side as him and he certainly had the talent-but not the work ethic to be a star or Professional. He returned to Greetland but then drifted out the game. What a waste of talent. No doubt there are others who have done the same.

#30 duffymoon

duffymoon
  • Coach
  • 2,597 posts

Posted 29 September 2010 - 02:16 PM

Danny Wilson for me one of the most naturally gifted players ive ever seen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users