ORSA Membership

Dave Naylor

As we're all waiting to hear news of what lies ahead for next season, I'm racking my brains to try and think of ways to improve both the club and its public face.  My particular skills are mostly on-line stuff but also off-line media such as photography and video.  A lot of fans will have a their own niche skills in multiple areas and collectively those willing could make a difference.  The meetings arranged during the recent season, from what I can tell led by HomeOfTheTubularBandage, appear to have been an attempt in the right direction.

I never want to tread on anyone else's toes so that made me think that a membership of an existing organisation might be the way forward.  So my thinking arrived at the Oldham RL Supporters Association, (ORSA).  In the past I've been involved in several organisations and held positions such as cricket club secretary, team captain, club chairman, political branch secretary, membership secretary and probably positions I've long since forgotten.  I'm not hankering after a job here (it drives my wife nuts when I get involved in stuff) but it struck me that maybe I should join ORSA.

So, is anyone else a member?  I don't really know much about ORSA's history or current activities and it seems that its website has disappeared so I can't read up on it.  As far as I can tell you join by ringing the organisers and paying a tenner to join.  So what if we all did that?   We could build the ORSA membership and then have a structured body that represents supporters, which I suppose is the idea anyway.   

As we're all waiting to hear news of what lies ahead for next season, I'm racking my brains to try and think of ways to improve both the club and its public face.  My particular skills are mostly on-line stuff but also off-line media such as photography and video.  A lot of fans will have a their own niche skills in multiple areas and collectively those willing could make a difference.  The meetings arranged during the recent season, from what I can tell led by HomeOfTheTubularBandage, appear to have been an attempt in the right direction.

I never want to tread on anyone else's toes so that made me think that a membership of an existing organisation might be the way forward.  So my thinking arrived at the Oldham RL Supporters Association, (ORSA).  In the past I've been involved in several organisations and held positions such as cricket club secretary, team captain, club chairman, political branch secretary, membership secretary and probably positions I've long since forgotten.  I'm not hankering after a job here (it drives my wife nuts when I get involved in stuff) but it struck me that maybe I should join ORSA.

So, is anyone else a member?  I don't really know much about ORSA's history or current activities and it seems that its website has disappeared so I can't read up on it.  As far as I can tell you join by ringing the organisers and paying a tenner to join.  So what if we all did that?   We could build the ORSA membership and then have a structured body that represents supporters, which I suppose is the idea anyway.   

You need to speak to Grant and Sheila, who do the ORSA bit...I have a sneaky suspicion one and/or both, may lurk on here, under a secret nom de plume, but dont know what their masked identity is. Perhaps on reading this, they will make themsleves known to you, by way of a secret handshake, a complicated secret blink/wink thing...or maybe just via PM :D

They do read the forum...they gave me a right bollocking 2 years ago for suggesting different ways to increase/transform the membership scheme

Oh eck! :)

In all probability I'll be going to the presentation evening next Friday now I've got the green light from SWMBO.  I'll keep a tenner ready to join.   

During Scott's speech last night at the presentation, when he came to thank various people for their contributions during the season, ORSA were the first people he mentioned, glowingly.  If Scott appreciates their efforts, that'll do for me.  I've not joined with any plan or hidden agenda, I just want a way to pro-actively support the club more than just turning up to games.  

Archived