2016 Challenge Cup final: The road to Wembley for both teams

Round Six
St Helens 18-47 Hull FC
The Black and Whites produce one of the performances of the season so far to hammer St Helens in their own back yard live on the BBC. The win, which was their first at St Helens in the cup for 90 years, saw the likes of Danny Houghton, Gareth Ellis and Scott Taylor all cross as Hull’s pack proved too powerful for the Saints.

Oldham 10-70 Warrington
The Wolves entertain on a Saturday afternoon at Bower Fold, running in 13 tries to breeze past the Championship strugglers and into the last eight. Benjamin Jullien, Ben Currie and Gene Ormsby all score braces, with George King also scoring a five-minute hat-trick as Tony Smith’s side advanced to the quarter-finals with ease.

Taylor Hull FC

Warrington 20-18 Widnes Vikings
The Wolves edge an absolute thriller live on the BBC, as a late Kurt Gidley penalty goal squeezes them past local rivals Widnes and into the last four once again.

Hull FC 22-8 Catalans Dragons
Lee Radford’s side prove too good for Laurent Frayssinous’ men to move back into the last four of the Challenge Cup once again. The win, which was their 10th in a row at that point, saw Steve Michaels, Frank Pritchard and Danny Houghton all cross for tries.

Clark Warrington

Hull FC 16-12 Wigan Warriors
Once again the Black and Whites are involved in a mammoth tussle, and once again they come up trumps, seeing off the challenge of Wigan at Doncaster’s Keepmoat Stadium to advance to the Wembley final. Hull did trail 8-2 at one point in the second half, but a quick double from Fetuli Talanoa and Steve Michaels proved to be just about enough for FC, despite a late consolation try from Willie Isa.

Warrington 56-12 Wakefield Trinity Wildcats
Warrington have a far easier job in progressing to the final, seeing off an injury-hit Wakefield side to make it to the Wembley showpiece once again. Wakefield had trouble fielding a side at one point leading up to the game, and they had no answer for a dominating and one-sided performance from the Wolves, as they booked their spot in the final for the first time in four years.