Ben Black says

ernieone

Batley Bulldogs half-back Ben Black believes the Kingstone Press Championship Play-offs could not come at a better time for his team as they prepare to face Workington Town on Sunday (3.00pm).

The Bulldogs go into the elimination play-off having defeated Leigh Centurions and York City Knights in their last two matches and B;ack has no doubts the West Yorkshire club have what it takes to go all the way.

“We have hit a bit of form recently and hopefully we can continue that by beating Workington on Sunday” said Black. “We know it will be tough, it was a close game between us back in July which they won so we need to be on our toes.

“John (Kear) has been gearing us up for the play-offs and we are ready and looking forward to the match. It’s quite a long journey that they have to travel so hopefully that will take a bit out of them.”

Black, who was a Grand Final winner back in 2010 with Halifax, feels that the Championship is becoming more competitive year on year and to qualify for the play-offs this season has not been an easy task.

“In this competition anyone can win, we have had no easy games at all this year,” he said. “The competition is getting stronger which makes it even more enjoyable to be involved in the play-off stages.

“Winning the Championship Grand Final back in 2010 was a really special moment, especially kicking the winning drop-goal. At this stage of the season it is something that creeps into the back of my mind as I would love to experience the final again.

“I feel a lot of people have written us off this season and focused on Featherstone, Sheffield and Halifax but we have played well and all the boys are looking forward to Sunday and who knows maybe we can go all the way.”

1950s Gallant Youth, 2000 Bulldog

Archived