Have they finally seen the light?

Blue Monkey

I don't get this thing about players being less skilful these days. Modern forwards have handling and passing skills that make those of yesteryear look like fairly limited players. I put forward the idea that half-backs simply don't stand out as much because every player on the pitch can now pass a ball.

Just because the players are bigger, faster and stronger on average doesn't mean they have less skill.

Totally agree mate!

Spelly.

"--- and then on the eighth day, God created Rugby League."

Daily, my intense dislike of the Pinks, Rugby Yawnion, Manchester United, and far-right politics, grows ever larger, and will continue to do so forever more!

Question! What's the connection between Rugby League and Rugby Yawnion? Answer! There isn't one!

My girl-friend asked "If you had to choose between me and Swinton who would it be?" I replied "You know the answer to that one without even asking!"

So basically even though no one on here watches Australian RL on a weekly basis, it's still better in the old days? Makes me laugh 

According to the Australian report that's precisely what's happening!

“Comparing data in the NRL from 10 years ago with that of today, they’ve detected fewer breaks and tries per game, and fewer passes leading to those tries. They have noticed, too, the increased bulk of players and the formulaic structure of the game, and have wondered where a continuation of this trend may leave Rugby League in another 10 years.

So, one more time, it's not about yesteryear or the old days, it's about the last 10 years and the next 10 years.

Of course I could easily argue that British RL is at least 10 years behind Australian RL, so we won't have to worry about it for 20 years, right? ;)

lionsfanusa.gif

Players are fitter, better drilled and maybe crucially can interchange more than the past. This means defences don't tire as much so you will see fewer tries and breaks. You could argue this means creative players have to be even better to get through.

Looking at scores though I don't think there is an issue with the game being too heavily weighted in favour of defence. Still plenty of high scoring games. You could reduce the number of interchanges to help attackers particularly late in a game but I don't think it's needed.

According to the Australian report that's precisely what's happening!

“Comparing data in the NRL from 10 years ago with that of today, they’ve detected fewer breaks and tries per game, and fewer passes leading to those tries. They have noticed, too, the increased bulk of players and the formulaic structure of the game, and have wondered where a continuation of this trend may leave Rugby League in another 10 years.

So, one more time, it's not about yesteryear or the old days, it's about the last 10 years and the next 10 years.

Of course I could easily argue that British RL is at least 10 years behind Australian RL, so we won't have to worry about it for 20 years, right? ;)

Yet people can quote matches from the sixties as being the most memorable when one try was scored

Statistics do not relate to how entertaining a game was whether it was this week last week 2005 1995 or 1965

But you don't watch IT so how can you comment? Everyone can produce a report or quote from somewhere but unless you bother watching a product then your view is pointless

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

The other thing is Mark it is purely a point of view and therefore cannot be right or wrong. The report which I've not read is using statistics that cannot prove its point

I enjoy modern rugby . I enjoy watching old rugby and I enjoy Australian rugby.

It's purely a point of view

The whole argument is pointless!

I read the article. It's a valid point of view. It then moves on to stories about Ivan Cleary and Jamie Soward. Two highly creative more diminutive stars of Aussie rl!

I could post you a link of tries scored by Ben Barba ...one of the most exciting players ever to grace a rugby field with a sidestep swerve and pace but last time I did that the dinosaurs complained that the defence was poor. You really could not make it up

The thing is I actually quite agree that rugby is not quite as good at the moment. Although saints hull kr the other night was hugely exciting. What I do dislike is huge generalisation..the misuse of stats..and the head in the sand attitude that all old stuff is better.

Ask us to see the light and you must be expected to open your own eyes a bit too.

I've read it and I actually watch it, do you Geoff?

"When you participate in sporting events, it's not whether you win or lose; it's how drunk you get." -Homer Simpson

mark.gif

"I couldn't be more chuffed if I were a badger at the start of the mating season" Ian Holloway

Archived