Leigh confirm Hansen signing

''Leigh Centurions are delighted to confirm the signing of Harrison Hansen on a two-year contract with the Club having the option of a further year.

Hansen, 29, who will join the Club in readiness for the start of pre season training is a vastly experienced forward who has achieved some of the game's highest honours.

Born in Auckland, NZ but schooled in England where his father Shane was a professional for both Salford and Swinton, earning a reputation as one of the game's best tacklers, Harrison played for the famous Folly Lane ARL club at junior level and came through the successful Wigan Warriors junior development scheme, making his first-team debut for the club in 2004.

He went on to make 238 appearances for the Warriors, winning the Grand Final in 2010 and the Challenge Cup in 2011 before achieving the notable Super League and Challenge Cup double in the club's momentous 2013 campaign.

After earning England international honours at youth level, he represented New Zealand in 2006 and then played for Samoa in the 2008 World Cup. He was chosen to captain Samoa in the 2013 World Cup but had to withdraw from the team due to injury.

Hansen turned down the opportunity of a testimonial at Wigan to join Salford and in the past two seasons has been one of the mainstays of the Red Devils' pack, making a total of 52 appearances for the club.

Leigh Centurions Head of Rugby Derek Beaumont said: "Harrison is a massive draw for the Club. He is a proven professional at the top of his game. His experience and qualities will be insurmountable at our Club, benefiting everyone around him. His air of professionalism and attitude are unrivalled in the game and I am honoured that he has chosen to join our Club, dropping down a level to help us realise our potential.

"Harrison believes in what we are trying to do here and is committed to helping us achieve that. The fact he believes in our vision is very reassuring and I hope that rubs off on our fans who will remain as committed next year as they have been this year. Harrison is a leader, a warrior, a born winner and that excites me. I look forward to watching him in a Leigh Centurions shirt as I know many others will!"

Leigh Centurions Head Coach Paul Rowley said: "Harrison is a excellent professional who is held in high regard by fellow pros across the game. He plays tough and wears his heart on his sleeve. Myself and the lads welcome Harrison to the team and I look forward to him making a positive impact within the group."

Archived