Thornton expects physical clash

Dons News

Gary Thornton says his side are ready for a tough physical encounter as they prepare to take on Keighley in the iPro Cup at Cougar Park.

The Dons travel to face the holders of the competition in what is their first competitive outing of 2017.

Thornton believes his forwards will have to do the majority of the work throughout the game, on what is a heavy pitch in West Yorkshire.

“It will be tough on their pitch, it’s not the biggest and it looks as though it’s going to be pretty hard to run on as well. Keighley won the competition last year and I’m sure they’ll be working hard to retain it,” he said.

“It could be a forwards battle, which I’m pretty happy about because I’m really confident we’ve got enough strength in depth within our middles should the game develop that way.

“That’s why we wanted to strengthen the middle unit, I think we were a bit light there last season. We’ve brought in Feka Paleaaesina, Jamie Thackray and Russ Spiers who have without a doubt improved us.”

Apart from long-term absentees Mike Kelly and Matt Nicholson, the head coach has a fully fit squad to choose from. Thornton says a selection dilemma is a nice problem to have.

“Team selection isn’t going to be easy, some of the boys are going to be disappointed at being left out for the first game of the season,” he added.

“We’ve got the challenge cup the week after so hopefully those that miss out on Sunday will get an opportunity then.

“I’ve seen enough in the pre-season games to know that we’re going to be competitive in every fixture and we’re more than ready for the challenges ahead.”

View the full article

Archived