The NRL Round 11 Thread (Magic Round)

A lot more straightforward this week tipping wise

Canberra Raiders v Canterbury Bulldogs

Jordan Rapana back and Ricky Stuart as much a part of Canberra as the National Carillion extended in his contract. Against a Bulldogs side that's getting there. The next step for the Dogs is converting close losses to the big clubs into wins. Not sure why the Dogs are overwhelming favourites though with the bookies though as this potentially could be close - Dogs bite Raiders?

Manly Sea Eagles v Brisbane Broncos

An effective "home" fixture for the Bronx who should despatch the Silvertails sans Turbo and Saab ,even without Reece Walsh, Though the absench of Walsh might make it closer   - Sea Eagles wings clipped

Gold Coast Titans v Newcastle Knights

No Brimson and Foran for Gold Coast against a Knights team coming into some reasonable form - Titans cut down to size ?

Cronulla Sharks v Sydney Roosters

Roosters favoured by the bookies yet despite an injury cloud over Nicho Hynes, the Sharkies won down in Victoria. The Roosters are without Joey Manu and the Fifita fiasco may well have ruffled feathers in the camp. The Game of the Round will a close affair either way. - Will victory fly from the Coop?

South Sydney v North Queensland Cowboys

As with the game beforehand, someone's streak will end, and Souths will win a game before too long with Alex Johnston and Jacob Gagai returning to the starting XIII.  That said, Latrell is back in the news with his chin-wag with Braith Anasta at the Chin Chin restaraunt in Surry Hills ending with Latrell allegedly offering to chin Braith outside. The sooner Latrell comes to Super League the better. I am sure we can find a spot for him in the London Broncos starting XIII. As for the Cows can they stop beat themselves as I have posted before, so I am taking this to be another close one. - Cows stand pat?

New Zealand Warrios v Penrith Panthers

No Shaun Johnson or Nathan Cleary yet you have to fancy the Penny Panthers inflicting yet more Woe on the Wahs as season rapidly evaporates. - Panthers sharpen their claws.

Melbourne Storm v Paramatta Eels

The Storm look to rebound against a Paramatta side that has dismayed their large fanbase. It could be thast come the return of Mitch Moses that the Eels storm to the playoffs in the final rounds ,but more likely there is a Fin De Seicle tone to Brad Arthurs coaching tenure. - Storm blow away Eels.

West Tigers v Dolphins

No Bateman for Wests and The Hammer returning for the Dolphins . Now according to the bookies and the way it should go. The Fins should entertain the Suncoprp Crowd in this one but then, it's the Dolphins the most maddening team in the NRL and I would not rule out a close game - Fins "Hammer" the Tigers.

Good with your Tips and enjoy the games all of which will be on SKY.

• Like 2

"I picked these lads thinking they were ready and clearly some of them are not. I'm not blaming the players"

Paul Farbrace - Sussex CCC and ex-england coach engaging in Wordspeak....

image.png.5fe5424fdf31c5004e2aad945309f68e.png

You either own NFTs or women’s phone numbers but not both

Posted (edited)

Despite TRR’s opening remarks, our tipsters so far have a fair number of differences of opinion.

The main ones are Raiders/Doggies and the three Saturday games.

If you are a first time or occasional tipster have your say by entering. You are bound to do well!

Edited by Graham

GWdErp0.jpeg 
Only in Rugby League!
The Australian Rugby League Forum

FRIDAY, MAY 17TH

Canberra Raiders vs Canterbury Bulldogs,

6pm @ Suncorp Stadium

Raiders team: 1. Jordan Rapana 2. Nick Cotric 3. Matthew Timoko 4. Sebastian Kris 5. Xavier Savage 6. Ethan Strange 7. Kaeo Weekes 8. Josh Papali’i 9. Danny Levi 10. Joseph Tapine 11. Hudson Young 12. Elliott Whitehead 13. Morgan Smithies

14. Tom Starling 15. Ata Mariota 16. Trey Mooney 17. Emre Guler

18. Albert Hopoate 19. Zac Woolford 

Players cut: 20. Simi Sasagi 21. Peter Hola 22. Hohepa Puru

Late Mail: In the 24-hour update, there are no changes to the side named on Tuesday. Jordan Rapana returns from a knee injury, replacing Albert Hopoate at fullback. Hopoate remains in the reserves as 18th man at this stage.

Bulldogs team: 1. Connor Tracey 2. Jacob Kiraz 3. Bronson Xerri 4. Stephen Crichton 5. Josh Addo-Carr 6. Matt Burton 7. Drew Hutchison 8. Max King 9. Reed Mahoney 10. Samuel Hughes 11. Viliame Kikau 17. Jacob Preston  13. Kurt Mann

14. Bailey Hayward 15. Josh Curran 16. Kurtis Morrin  19. Poasa Faamausili

20. Blake Taaffe 21. Jake Turpin 

Players cut: 12. Jaeman Salmon 22. Toby Sexton 23. Blake Wilson

Late Mail: Jaeman Salmon is out of the 17 after picking up a staph infection and spending time in hospital this week, with Jacob Preston promoted to the run on side. Poasa Faamausili will come onto the bench in jumper No. 19.

So I got sidetracked and started late and Raiders already up 6-0 after Connor Tracey dropped a high kick and Savage scored. 6 minutes gone.

Great moments in commentary: Greg Alexander said Kikau "can pre-offload." So he can offload before he offloads? Is that legal? Does he just do it on the phone before the game?

If Kikau can develop this talent, maybe he could pre-try. He could phone in 3 tries every week and wouldn't even need to play. They could eliminate all risk of injury.

The Fox goes over in the corner but he had his foot on the line, twice.

20min: Another Dogs mistake, another Raiders try. Kiraz drops the ball in the first tackle off a scrum and the ball goes straight to Kris who runs 15m, to score

Rapana goal

Raiders 12 - 0

32min: Raiders blunder trying to defuse a kick in the in-goal leads to Jacob Preston try.

Burton try

Dogs 6 - 12

36min: Rapana 10 in bin. Fox took a wide kick from Burton on the run then kicked ahead then Rapana took him out.

Posted (edited)

Then Crichton scores 2 tackles later. Burton missed the goal kick

Dogs 10 - 12

Edited by Farmduck

39min: Papalii 10 in bin for hip drop on Kikau. At first I though Kikau may have been pre-injured but he's left the field - maybe just using the free interchange?

Two Raiders in the bin now!

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Damn, that's a bad one with Papalii jumping and landing on Kikau's leg.

Kikau in agony. That is such a reckless, uncontrolled tackle from the big middle.

I think when it's as clear as that that there is a real argument for a send-off. Lower legs can be really damaged.

1 minute ago, StandOffHalf said:

Damn, that's a bad one with Papalii jumping and landing on Kikau's leg.

Kikau in agony. That is such a reckless, uncontrolled tackle from the big middle.

I think when it's as clear as that that there is a real argument for a send-off. Lower legs can be really damaged.

Yes, he's lucky just to get binned. The Raiders pay for it with a late Bulldogs try taking the lead.

• Like 1

Let me never fall into the vulgar mistake of dreaming that I am persecuted whenever I am contradicted.
Ralph Waldo Emerson

Then Burton crosses off a Hutchison kick.

Burton misses again

HT:  Dogs  14  Raiders  12

Canterbury made good use of the numerical superiority. Canberra look very flaky, even when back to 13 men.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Posted (edited)

I love Kiraz's footwork.

Knock-on off the steepling Burton bomb puts the Doggies back on attack.

The Raiders will be happy enough to still be in it after being two men down.

Edited by StandOffHalf

Hudson Young back to back after the Green Machine show back-bone under the strain of repeated sets from the Doggies.

Young Weekes carving up the middle for the try that puts Canberra back in front. He looks really assured and classy. Awesome sight as he scythed through!

Messy match, but entertaining.

• Like 1

Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 hour ago, Farmduck said:

Late Mail: Jaeman Salmon is out of the 17 after picking up a staph infection and spending time in hospital this week, with Jacob Preston promoted to the run on side. Poasa Faamausili will come onto the bench in jumper No. 19.

I wondered why he was dropped from the side announced Tuesday. Ta.

GWdErp0.jpeg 
Only in Rugby League!
The Australian Rugby League Forum