New coach

roughyed1064

Err the debt to the council is not alleged its fact.

“Officers have sought to enter into a number of payment plans with the club and whilst occasional payments have been made as at June 2nd 2016 the club have now amassed a total debt of with the council of £70,713.”

The club owes £43,184 in rent, £18,460 in business rates, £7,868 in legal fees, plus £1,200 in ‘other debt’.

The report says: “In order to protect the public purse and as Oldham rugby have limited need for Whitebank it would be appropriate to review its options in relation to the asset.”

The report says the options are ‘do nothing’, take possession through peaceable re-entry, or request the club surrender their lease.

Council bosses have opted for the club surrendering the lease and the report says: “In pursuing this option the council would be able to work with Oldham RLFC to issue a joint press release which as much as possible, seeks to minimise public criticism against either party.”

The report adds: “The council will continue to pursue the arrears.”

Whats happened since then is anyones guess but the debt was/is £70,713, you cant get away from that. No one but CH and OMBC know the state of affairs but I don't see why its detrimental that fans ask questions about what has happened to this debt. The question still needs an answer, the fans are entitled to know.

Yes its positive we have signings etc but the state of the club/ground  also needs addressing, the negatives are unfortunately brought into play as ultimately, if this debt needs to be repaid then we could be on a decidedly sticky wicket no matter how many signings the club announce.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Think you may have missed my point, to be honest. 

I don't deny that there are facts as stated quite publicly, but nobody knows whether or not some of the issues remain unresolved, or otherwise. So, opening up the debate, without being aware of the current situation and of any discussions that may have gone on 'behind the scenes', leads to speculation. Speculation then becomes 'fact' and some of that will be based on rumour and incorrect interpretation, consequently clouding the issues. 

So, I am merely suggesting that it would be wise to wait and see what announcements crop up in the weeks ahead, rather that jeopardising any matters that are ongoing. That's all! 

logic nobody is arguing with you at this moment we do not have a ground, 34 as proved there is a large debt to the council which they can call in at any time. at this moment if ch does not have access to  monies to put  into the club with the debts we have we are insolvent.

I dont know Tandle how long the debts to OMBC have accrued over.

Logic, I get your point but now this has raised its head again, surely the club/council could end speculation by releasing a statement about the debt owed and wether its paid/being paid etc but as per the fans are the last to know.

Its not like its ever gone away really, its over 12 months since the story broke about the debt and no statement either from ORLFC or the council has been made since it shouldn't have had to wait that length of time without answers from either party.

Because we are still in limbo for a ground it was inevitable that the subject would reappear, as far as I have read so far, most comments reflect on the facts not just random speculation.

When our club is seriously in debt (or not) to the local authority and central funding is cut by a huge amount , people (including myself) are pretty worried about the situation heading into the 2018 season.  Tandle is absolutely right, the financial health of the club is precarious as it is, debts like this could kill the club stone dead.

The Council/MEN were quick enough to break the story of the debt,and then nothing, what worries me is that it should have been dealt with over the last 12 months but it seems like this debt situation could have a major impact on a deal for that Whitebank.

I do understand what your saying believe me,and I'm not arguing with you either, but fans will naturally discuss this based on what is known, its up to the club/council to rectify the situation........I wont hold my breath on that though!

I

right again 34 I also fear for the club in 2018 if the debt figures are true I cant us lasting the season without a very large cash influx. also there as been over 4.040 views on this subject so a lot of people are still interested in Oldham rugby so we need to be kept up to date by the council and ch. and to you ch you will expect us to turn up and pay our monies into your coffers and keep your business afloat well in my opinion if you don't let the fans know whats  going on I think you could be in for a very big shock.

14 hours ago, tandle said:

right again 34 I also fear for the club in 2018 if the debt figures are true I cant us lasting the season without a very large cash influx. also there as been over 4.040 views on this subject so a lot of people are still interested in Oldham rugby so we need to be kept up to date by the council and ch. and to you ch you will expect us to turn up and pay our monies into your coffers and keep your business afloat well in my opinion if you don't let the fans know whats  going on I think you could be in for a very big shock.

I think you should acknowledge CH has improved communications massively with the help of Dave and Roger H. But understand the concerns some have about the debts. Personally as a one man band, i see that as his problem, not ours. In fact there are a lot on here want him to go bust and start afresh. May i add i'm not one of them! 

the man reinvented a Oldham rugby league club for this I cant praise him enough and with his 20 years experience that is something you cant buy. but with relegation last season and at the moment no ground, debts above the monies we get from the rfl and last season when scott Naylor said to the two idiots in the stand what would you do with no money, if you have no money left when you have received £150.000 what are you going to do on £70.000 I fear for next season unless something is done.

2016/17 accounts won't be available for almost a year.

2015/16 accounts haven't been submitted and are more than two months overdue.

2014/16 accounts show massive debt- FAR higher than 70k - which is likely to have increased.

Most of the debt will be owed to CH himself as director loans. But we know the club owes over 70k to the Council. We don't know how much it owes to suppliers, former landlords or HMRC etc etc.

The club must find new investment as well as new and continuing revenue streams. CH has been either unwilling or unable to do so thus far.

However, Coach and players must surely have been convinced of the club's viability if they have re-signed. So maybe something is soon to be announced? I would certainly hope so.

hottb as Oldham rlfc are a ltd company and trade for 52 weeks a year, and not just the rugby season. when does their financial year start and finish, they could need two sets of accounts for one rugby season. also ch could have made inroads into the debts by using some of the £150.000 of last seasons rfl money hence no monies left.

The reporting period ends at beginning of April I suspect, as accounts are due in with Companies House by end of July. I file in March for my November startup. So it could be a bit earlier than April for ORLFC 1997.

But no accounts have been submitted since 2015. So whether its one or two, they are overdue.

Yes, some of the debts could have been settled/reduced. Though, given the rhetoric re: increased spending last season, I would be surprised.

People seem to have overlooked the following statement from CH in the MEN article:

“As part of that process, it was necessary to surrender the current lease, to enable matters to move forward but our fans can be assured that the club’s position is protected now and in the future.”

Straight from the horse’s mouth, everything is fine.

Therefore  go home and get Netflix and chill until the start of next season.

Disclaimer – for those unsure, my tongue is planted firmly in my cheek.

Archived