New signings 2018

Robthegasman

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see that 5 players from last season have officially re-signed for next year and key players too.If we can keep the nucleus of the existing squad with a few additions within our means moneywise then I think we will be ok next year and hopefully not be in another relegation dogfight,hopefully we can finish where Dewsbury finished next year which was fantastic for them considering the terrible start they had which was far worse than ours was.

7 minutes ago, Robthegasman said:

Good to see that 5 players from last season have officially re-signed for next year and key players too.If we can keep the nucleus of the existing squad with a few additions within our means moneywise then I think we will be ok next year and hopefully not be in another relegation dogfight,hopefully we can finish where Dewsbury finished next year which was fantastic for them considering the terrible start they had which was far worse than ours was.

Do you know if there will be another dual registration deal with a Super League team?

From the official website:

SWINTON LAD CHRIS WORRALL JOINS LIONS!

Born and bred Swinton-lad Chris Worrall is the latest player to nail his colours to the Lions’ mast for the 2018 season! The coaching staff and Board are thrilled to be recruiting a local lad into the Lions’ squad, and it’s hoped that over the next few seasons others will follow in Chris’s footsteps.

The 21 years old loose-forward emerged through the Academy systems at Salford and St Helens, and then gained first team experience with Gloucestershire All Golds during the 2017 campaign.

Chris is still young and has immense potential, something which Head Coach Stuart Littler is keen to develop. Stuart said, “Chris has a good pedigree after playing Academy rugby at both Salford and Saints. Chris tells me that he was brought up in Swinton, but I'm aware that he played his amateur rugby with the Leigh Miners Rangers club. So he’s had a good grounding and being a local lad I’ve no doubt he’ll be more than keen to make an impression in the Championship and on our fans. Chris has been coached well and has a good skill set which we aim to develop. He is a keen learner, and over the next two years his potential to achieve is huge.”

Chris is really looking forward to the challenge. He said, “I’m really looking forward to this new challenge with Swinton. I can’t wait to get started and prove myself at this level. I am especially really proud to be given an opportunity with my home town team and the place where I grew up.”

All the very best Chris, there’s no doubt that the fans will love a local hero!

From the official website:

CHRIS ROTHWELL - THE RETURN OF A LION!

Chris Rothwell, one of the great success stories of our remarkable promotion season in 2015, is now a Lion again!

It’s probably fair to say that when Chris was brought in from Ashton Bears ARLFC by John Duffy at the start of the 2015 campaign, the budding centre was perhaps regarded as one for the future. But he immediately took the step up in class in his stride and soon emerged as one of the Lions’ outstanding performers. It was of course the same campaign which culminated in that heart-stopping one point victory over Keighley in the promotion play-off final at Widnes.

In fact that memorable day at the Select Security Stadium was Chris’s last outing in a Swinton shirt, as he then had to make the agonising decision to concentrate on his career outside of the game rather than follow the Lions into the Championship.

Solid in defence, and always a threat in attack, Chris scored 12 tries in 27 appearances during the 2015 campaign, and he is thrilled at being back in the fold. He said, “I can’t wait to get back down to the Lions. I really enjoyed myself at Swinton last time, and I was buzzing when I got the call from Stuart to see if I would be interested in coming back. I’m looking forward to getting back into it, and the season ahead can’t come soon enough.”

Head Coach Stuart Littler was delighted that his call paid off. He said, “I want to say a massive welcome back to Swinton to our former centre or back-rower Chris Rothwell. Chris was a star performer in our promotion winning campaign in 2015, but was then lost to the club and the professional game due to work commitments. I am really excited with Chris's signing as I think he has the potential to be massive. Chris is easy to manage and is great to have around the club. I am hoping Chris will not only pick up where he left off, but also kick on strongly to the next level.”

From everyone connected with Swinton Lions, it’s great to have you back Chris!

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/391

A few more signings/returnees:

From the official Swinton site:

CULT HERO JOSH SIGNS FOR TWO YEARS!

The latest Lion to put pen to paper ahead of the 2018 season is fans’ favourite Josh Barlow.

Josh of course is a wholehearted player who wears his heart on his sleeve, attributes which have earned the respect of his team mates and coaching staff alike. His sheer enthusiasm is infectious and never fails to inspire those around him.

Having made his Swinton debut back in February 2013, he is now the Lions’ longest serving player. Last season he made 25 appearances scoring one try – this being an important effort which helped the Lions win at Dewsbury in the Super 8s. In total Josh has now sored 14 tries in 109 appearances for Swinton.

Head Coach Stuart Littler said, “I think it’s outstanding news for the club that Josh has agreed a new deal. He has developed into a leader within our pack plus he is a tough competitor with a winning attitude. Josh has bought into our new vision and that’s great news for the club.”

Chairman Andy Mazey added, “Josh is a real fans’ favourite and a man for me who sums up the fighting spirit and never-say-die attitude of our great club and its supporters. Josh has seen enough of our fresh momentum to want to commit to the club for two years which is very pleasing for myself and the Board. I’m delighted Josh is set to play a major on-field role in Swinton’s exciting New Era.

Josh said after putting his signature on a new two-year contract, “I absolutely love this club and the fans are brilliant to me, so signing on again was a no-brainer. Stuart is someone I respect and enjoy working with, and we have a great set of lads. I’m really looking forward to next season.”

From the official Swinton website:

MARK NICHOLSON AND JACK HANSEN SHOW FUTURE PROMISE!

We are pleased to announce that two promising young players who we brought in at the back end of last season, are to stay with us into the 2018 campaign. Both Mark Nicholson and Jack Hansen showed enough promise to convince Head Coach Stuart Littler that they can both become important squad members by continuing their development within a professional set-up.

Jack Hansen is the son of former Lion Lee Hansen, and first emerged at the Leigh Easts club before joining Leigh Centurions as an 18 year old. He then gained experience at North Wales Crusaders who he helped to the League One Cup final last May when they were beaten by Barrow. Jack joined the Lions ahead of last season’s Championship Shield Super 8s and enjoyed a tough debut against Bradford Bulls. His second appearance was over in France against Toulouse.

Stuart Littler said of the promising full-back/half-back, “Jack is a player who we brought in to strengthen the squad ahead of our task to keep the club in the Championship. Jack probably didn't get the game time he wished for, but he did well in the matches that he did play. The task for Jack now is to nail down a spot in our weekly 17 and to kick on and prove he is the Championship player I know he can be. He comes from a good pedigree and the skills he demonstrates in training prove he has huge potential. Jack has time on his side and over the next few years he will really develop.”

Mark Nicholson is of course the younger brother of Lions’ hooker, Anthony. Like Jack Hansen, Mark is also a product of the Leigh amateur scene having come through the ranks at Leigh Miners Rangers. Mark has also been on the books at Leigh Centurions and joined Swinton ahead of last season’s Championship Shield Super 8s.Second-rower Mark made his debut against Batley at Mount Pleasant, and although the team endured a pretty awful afternoon Mark emerged with great credit with a spirited individual performance. He went on to feature against Sheffield Eagles, Rochdale Hornets and Toulouse.

Stuart Littler said of Mark, “It’s great to get Mark on board again. I thought after coming in for the Championship Shield games, Mark really stepped up with his attitude to both training and the matches themselves. He is keen to learn and has some great physical attributes to work with. Mark has age on his side and I am really keen to see how far we can take his development.”

So welcome back Mark and Jack, we are sure they will mature into important players for Swinton Lions!

JESSE JO TO ADD EXPERIENCE TO LIONS' BACK-LINE

Our latest signing is Jesse Jo Sherriffe, the former Keighley and Halifax player. Jesse will provide us with pace, as well as experienced cover for several positions, particularly full-back and wing. He is therefore a very welcome addition to our squad.

Swinton fans will recall Jesse from past encounters against the Cougars, and although he didn’t feature in that never-to-be-forgotten play-off final in 2015, he did play against the Lions earlier in that same season.

Head Coach Stuart Littler said of his latest capture, “I am really delighted to welcome Jesse Jo to our club. He has lots of experience from his time with Halifax and Keighley, and he will add pace and loads of enthusiasm to our exciting backline. Jesse Jo can cover wing or full-back or anywhere in the backs really. I am looking forward to working with him over the next few months as we gear up for a big start to the new season.”

After putting pen to paper, Jesse Jo said, “I’m really happy to have signed for Swinton. I am looking forward to working hard, challenging myself, and playing Championship rugby league with the Lions.”

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/394

LIONS LAND SHELFORD FROM WIGAN WARRIORS!

We are delighted to announce the signing of Kyle Shelford from Wigan Warriors. Kyle is 21 years old and usually operates in the loose-forward role although he can also play at hooker. He is the son of former New Zealand and Wigan great Adrian Shelford, so clearly Kyle has a good pedigree!

Kyle’s early development took place at Shevington Sharks ARLFC, from where he joined the Wigan Academy system and became captain. He also skippered the England Academy team, before making his Super League debut in July 2016 against Wakefield Trinity.

Although Kyle spent much of last season on loan at Workington Town, he has actually already played once in a Lions’ shirt. This occurred in June 2016 when he appeared on dual-registration in the home match against London Broncos.

Kyle is a highly promising and talented forward, and one that Chairman Andy Mazey was thrilled to welcome to the Lions. He said, “On behalf of the board I would like to welcome Kyle Shelford to the club. This is a real coup for Swinton Lions and one that should assure our supporters of our intentions to build a competitive Championship squad for 2018 and beyond. When Stuart became aware of Kyle's availability we moved quickly to fend off intense competition for his signature. I would also like to thank Frank Endacott for his assistance in making a deal possible.”

Head Coach Stuart Littler said of his terrific new signing, “It is great new for the club to be able to secure the signature of Kyle Shelford. Kyle has played with us before on dual-registration and is a player that we have monitored ever since. He is a good professional who sets standards not only in training, but also with lifestyle choices. Kyle’s attitude will ensure that he goes far within the game, and his professionalism can only have a positive effect within our changing room.”

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/396

LUKE WATERWORTH LATEST TO SIGN AGAIN!

Another piece in the Swinton Lions 2018 jigsaw has been slotted in today as Luke Waterworth renewed his contract with the club.

Our number 9 had an outstanding campaign in 2017, and at our recent Presentation Night he was honoured with the “Champagne Moment of the Season” for his dramatic late winning try at Super League Huddersfield in the Challenge Cup.

Luke made his debut for the Lions in 2016 when he joined us on dual-registration from Wigan, but at the start of the 2017 season his transfer was made permanent. After making 12 appearances in 2016, he went on to play 26 times for us last season scoring 4 tries in the process.

He has emerged as a key player in our line-up, and Head Coach Stuart Littler was keen to tie Luke to the club going into the new season.

Stuart said, “I’m delighted to be able to announce the re-signing of our hooker Luke Waterworth. Luke's form was outstanding at the back end of last season and I am looking forward to him carrying that confidence into our pre-season programme. Luke is looking in great shape and I am expecting big things from him next year.”

Luke himself added, “I’m made up to sign for the 2018 season and I can’t wait to get started and rip in. I’ve loved playing for Swinton and it’s a massive honour to be part of this club. I’m sure we will kick-on under Stuart and have a successful year.”

TOMMY GALLAGHER RE-JOINS LIONS AS ASSISTANT COACH TO STUART LITTLER

We are delighted to welcome Tommy Gallagher back to the Lions as our new Assistant Coach!

Tommy of course has twice been a popular player at the Lions, especially as in each of his two spells with the club he helped us to win promotion. In the 2011 season when we were based at The Willows, Tommy made 13 appearances scoring 5 tries as the Lions won the Championship One title. Then again in 2015 he was in our promotion winning side, with 8 tries and a goal in 22 outings. His final appearance for Swinton came against Keighley in that epic play-off final at Widnes.

Since his playing career finished (there isn’t enough room here to list all his clubs!), Tommy has been developing a coaching career via the Wigan Warriors set-up. He has begun to earn an excellent reputation and our Head Coach Stuart Littler thought it would be a shrewd move to bring him on board at the Lions.

Stuart said, “I’m really made up to be able to announce that a great coach, but also an even better person, has accepted our offer to join the Swinton Lions coaching team. Tommy Gallagher was a well-respected forward who represented Swinton amongst a good few others in a distinguished playing career. Since leaving Swinton in 2015 Tommy has been developing his coaching skills within Wigan's youth and schools pathways. Tommy is a highly regarded up and coming coach who will bring in some fresh ideas. Once I knew that Jay would be moving on we acted as quickly as possible to ensure we would have the right people involved within our coaching team. I am really excited to work with Tommy and I know exactly what he will bring. Also I want to wish Jay Duffy all the best in his future coaching career, whilst also thanking him for his work over the last couple of years at Swinton.”

Upon his appointment Tommy said, “I’m really excited by the challenge. I enjoyed my time at Swinton as a player, and in re-joining the club as a coach my ambition is to be successful. It will also be great to team up with Stuart Littler again.”

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/398

From Swinton’s official website:

Dynamic front-row forward Ben Austin is the latest Lion to renew his contract with the club for 2018.

Now in this fourth season at the club, Ben came through the Academy system at Wigan Warriors but made his debut for the Lions in March 2015 against Hemel Stags. He’s now made 77 appearances for the Lions, scoring six tries.

Probably his most memorable try of the 2017 campaign came in the last minute away at Dewsbury Rams in the Super 8s, when he plunged over under the posts to secure a dramatic victory for the Lions. Ben also chipped in with another important try in the crucial relegation decider at home against Oldham Roughyeds.

Ben never takes a backward step and at the age of 22 he will continue to improve. He’s someone who loves the club and is very popular player amongst the Lions faithful.

Our Head Coach Stuart Littler said, “I am delighted Ben has decided to continue his promising career with us. He has really developed well over the past three years and he is a tough, uncompromising forward, who only knows one direction. Ben is a good trainer and always adapts well to our coaching sessions. He is a well-liked character in our dressing room and he has really bought into the club’s new vision. I am expecting more progression from Ben and a massive season in 2018.”

Great to have you back on board Ben - yet another superb addition to our 2018 squad!

http://www.swintonlionsrlfc.com/news/403

I am glad to see that we have signed another player Hayden Hansen from Australia.I have heard that he is quite a good player and will no doubt be a very good acquisition to the squad.With the players retained(so far)the players signed and I believe that there are a few more to come,hopefully some very big forwards who will not take any ? from anyone we might be able to get top four in the bottom 8s next year,I think 8th is not an impossible target.

GABE FELL RETURNS TO THE LIONS!

Swinton fans will be thrilled to learn that full-back Gabriel Fell has re-joined the Lions on a permanent deal from Wigan!

During the 2016 Championship season, Gabe made 11 appearances for us whilst on dual-registration and scored three tries in the process. Alongside club mate Liam Marshall, he made a huge impact at the Lions until an unfortunate injury at Dewsbury ended his campaign in mid-July.

Gabe made a try-scoring Swinton debut in a crucial home victory over Workington Town in early April, and went on to grab further tries in the magnificent win at Batley and the stunning comeback against Whitehaven at Heywood Road.

Gabe is now 22 years old and has come through the Wigan Academy system via Ince Rose Bridge ARLFC. After being named Wigan’s Academy Player of the Year in 2015, he was handed a first team contract, although a full appearance eluded him in Super League.

Swinton Lions Operations Director Steve Wild said, “I vividly remember Gabe’s debut for the Lions in 2016. He instantly looked look like a class player. He had a calm assuredness under the high ball, had loads of pace, and his tackling was text-book. A couple of tackles that he made against Oldham in the Summer Bash victory were astonishing, especially the one where he managed to get himself under the ball when the Oldham player was diving in for what looked like a certain try. It’s absolutely fantastic to have Gabe back on a permanent deal and I know it will go down well with our fans.”

Head Coach Stuart Littler added, “Welcome back to the club Gabe Fell! I am made up to announce Gabe's arrival as official. He is another player in our back-line with pace to burn who makes quality decisions when linking into the line. He is a real threat going forward and solid defensively. I see many great qualities within his game and I cannot wait to get started in assisting his further development. Gabe is really excited about the opportunity ahead. We feel this is a great fit both for the player and Swinton Lions.”

Archived