Hunslet 27, Workington 20

Hawkwindbag

First of all well done to both teams for putting on the best match seen at the SLS for some time. 

The game followed very much the same pattern as at Oldham last week, although it was a couple of notches up on quality. So is this the new gameplan then? Spend an hour wearing the opposition out, then turn the screw from two scores behind in the last quarter?!?! I certainly hope not, I somehow doubt we could do it every match and it's no good for the blood pressure!!

The two packs went toe-to-toe until ours just about came out on top (with loanees Blagborough and Jordan-Roberts doing a lot of the "softening up"), both pairs of half-backs worked ceaselessly to probe and create openings, but as I exclusively predicted on Friday afternoon, it was the three-quarters than won it for us! I believe Walker was man of the match but there must have been a number of candidates.

Both teams need to look at how to play for 80 minutes, but on that evidence both look well capable of being "in the mix" when it comes to Top 5 at the end of the season. 

There ... I've done another report and not mentioned the referee (getting harder though!! :wacko: )

Great game, great win and great to see the place rocking when DFG ran over to secure the win. Its been a long time since i saw a try celebrated like that.

Two things that stands out to me is firstly our fitness levels, Worky were out on thier feet with 20 to go, yet we looked thresh, so credit to GT and his staff for getting the lads in great condition. Secondly the togetherness and unity in the squad is clear, everyone is giving 100% for each other and the shirt.

Referee was a complete joke and it was shame that a minority of Workington fans let their club down after the game.

Onwards and upwards!

"Nihil sine Deo" "We've Swept The Seas Before Boys, & So We Shall Again" "More than a club"

Cracking win for us, on the worky forum some are saying,they gave too much beating Bradford,and we were an average team,and they should not have lost,  I'm not having that ,we have played Bradford twice over the last few weeks,we beat Oldham away last week,and they beat kieghly yesterday. just think we are now playing as a team[not average]and the fitness levels are now coming to the attention of all of us,,,,CMON YOU HUNS. 

What a terrific game that was, best ive seen  down there for a long time, even if we had lost id have said we played well ! My only problem  was the pitch or state of it after American Football had been played on it 24 hours earlier !

Archived