Are we missing a trick?

hrtbps

This week's Ponte & Cas reports in its sports pages that 15 of the Featherstone Lions' current 18-strong under 15s squad have now signed scholarship forms with Super League clubs.

The numbers break down as follows:

• 5 to Leeds Rhinos
  • 5 to Trinity
  • 3 to Huddersfield
  • 1 to WIga
  • 1 to Hull

And none to Featherstone, obviously. Are we missing a trick with such a wealth of young talent on our doorstep? Should we be working with the Lions to give talented youngsters a pathway to the Rovers' first team? I know we can't compete financially with SL clubs, but I think we can offer something those clubs can't, ie. better chances of first team action in the short term, plus the chance of playing for their hometown club.

24 minutes ago, hrtbps said:

This week's Ponte & Cas reports in its sports pages that 15 of the Featherstone Lions' current 18-strong under 15s squad have now signed scholarship forms with Super League clubs.

• 5 to Leeds Rhinos
  • 5 to Trinity
  • 3 to Huddersfield
  • 1 to WIga
  • 1 to Hull

And none to Featherstone, obviously. Are we missing a trick with such a wealth of young talent on our doorstep? Should we be working with the Lions to give talented youngsters a pathway to the Rovers' first team? I know we can't compete financially with SL clubs, but I think we can offer something those clubs can't, ie. better chances of first team action in the short term, plus the chance of playing for their hometown club.

I’m guessing it’s a money issue, plus the SL clubs probably have funded scholarship programmes. Things will only ever change if we can make SL unfortunately.

2 hours ago, hrtbps said:

• 5 to Leeds Rhinos
  • 5 to Trinity
  • 3 to Huddersfield
  • 1 to WIga
  • 1 to Hull

unfortunately just like this year when RFL told us we couldn't run reserves back in the day rovers were told they had to get rid of their successful academy and u16 scholarship programmes so until they come back  sadly no pathway for youngsters at FEV

Archived