RFL to scrap promotion and relegation

3 hours ago, Harry Stottle said:

Totally agree, and yes I am one of those pub first, then game, then pub.

But by 'day trippers' do you mean the 'Away Fans'? Careful dk we are informed that these people don't matter. If by 'day trippers' though you mean those not tied to either club who make the journey specifically to watch the game, or by coincidence they are in the town on a match day and decide to go?

Tell me please, you live in one if the most visited parts of the country does the 'day tripper' aspect have any effect on the crowd numbers at your home games? 

I was talking more about the SL teams like wigan, saints, Leeds etc who have fans travelling around the country to their games,  it's not the same with in lower leagues as theres very few (if any) who would travel to workington other than the die hard and away fans.

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Gerrumonside ref said:

I’ve thought about the arguments on here about away fans, but I must admit that it always seemed to me to be a strength in watching rugby league and a weakness in watching football.

Yes, of course great atmospheres can be stirred up by tribal rivalries and it’s great to have a good sing song and go through your team’s own victory songs.  But most games aren’t like that and it can be just as enjoyable to have a really good discussion with a fan of another team on their exploits as well as your own.

In football generally it’s hard to do that at the match, but I used to love the fact that in rugby league the tribal aspect could be stripped away and people could stand together and watch and discuss the same match.

In modern parlance it would seem to me to be a positive USP (unique selling point).

I think the point about away fans isn't that they aren't valuable or something that we shouldn't embrace, but that equally "away fans" shouldn't be an argument to not do things like expand the reach of the sport.

If there is value in having the game played at a high level away from the M62, then "but away fans" isn't really enough to negate that value.

Away fans are a good thing, but people massively overplay their importance and they are nowhere near as valuable to a club than locals.

Away fans are good but if they're the best argument someone has against something, then it's a weak argument.

On 05/07/2020 at 23:13, Tommygilf said:

I find news and developments interesting.

Like I say it could mean an expansion of SL to 14 teams which may mean 2 teams promoted from the championship. Its "interesting" you look at it so negatively.

interesting but unsurprising. 

Archived