Something we’ll all agree on...

1 hour ago, bennyboy said:

I have no idea why (presumably) Aussies on here are referring to the quality of the Australia vs Argentina RU match. Regardless of how it played out, it doesn’t negate the fact that the international level has generated interest and attracted the casuals. I hardly watch the sport and yet the buzz generated by Argentina beating New Zealand managed to make headlines around the world, which is how I know about it. 

So in saying that, insular Aussies are certainly holding RL back. Believe it or not but not a lot of people outside of Australia are going to care if the Gold Coast Titans win the NRL premiership or if NSW perform a clean sweep of Queensland. 

Those Aussie centric results will only ever be relevant in Australia, because the fact is, other countries have their sports they follow. Australia isn’t the centre of the galaxy. 

So how do we get the rest of the world to follow RL? Oh let me see, how about focusing on internationals. What a radical idea that is! Someone should let the Aussies know 

My only issue with this is that your insinuating that a sport can only be considered 'successful' if the rest of the world follow it. Which is not correct as there are numerous successful sports played in predominantly one country (Australian rules, American football etc).

So let's agree that the NRL will only be relevant to Australia. Now what's wrong with that? Why is that such a big issue for you. Australians don't see any issue with it.

And England playing Australia does not attract casuals from 'around the world', as you like to think. 

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, AB90 said:

My only issue with this is that your insinuating that a sport can only be considered 'successful' if the rest of the world follow it. Which is not correct as there are numerous successful sports played in predominantly one country (Australian rules, American football etc).

So let's agree that the NRL will only be relevant to Australia. Now what's wrong with that? Why is that such a big issue for you. Australians don't see any issue with it.

And England playing Australia does not attract casuals from 'around the world', as you like to think. 

1. That’s not what I’m saying at all but you gotta admit, the status quo needs to change. If we want the sport to be more popular then club RL is not the way to go. For all its popularity, Australian Rules is virtually unheard of once you leave the Aussie shores. NFL on other hand, is the richest sports league in the world, in the most culturally relevant country in the world. You cannot compare the NRL to it as the dynamics are completely different. As a result of the cultural significance of America, the NFL is watched all around the world. Furthermore the US has over 10 times the population of Australia. One NFL team could have a fan base that outnumbers the NRL fan base as a whole. So what works in America may not work in Australia. The international level will bring more interest to our game as Australia just doesn’t have the same pulling power as the US. 

2. It’s a big issue to me because firstly, it’s naively being used as vehicle for growth and expansion outside of Australia. This goes back to previous comments about Australia not really having that pulling power in the world. In my opinion, this approach is a waste of time and cop out for insular Aussies. They can point at NRL efforts and say “hey see, we care about growing the game” but in reality, the relevance of the NRL only serves RL well in Australia. Secondly, the NRL takes up most of the season that when it’s time to play tests, all of a sudden burnout becomes an issue thus further neglecting the international game. It’s a balancing act and at the moment, the pendulum is far in the corner of the club RL that internationals will never be fully developed. What we’ve been seeing so far is nothing but a half arsed effort. 

3. Why wouldn’t it attract the casuals? Get a consistent rivalry going and make the games meaningful, and it’ll do a lot more than club RL to get more neutral observers watching RL. 

On 21/11/2020 at 16:13, welshmagpie said:

Televised Internationals are the best way to sell rugby league.

That & a marketing arm the size of a small factory.

I was going to say "Be you age, RL fans agree about something!" but I think that's been covered by the lack of agreement.

2 warning points:kolobok_dirol:  Non-Political

5 hours ago, bennyboy said:

1. That’s not what I’m saying at all but you gotta admit, the status quo needs to change. If we want the sport to be more popular then club RL is not the way to go. For all its popularity, Australian Rules is virtually unheard of once you leave the Aussie shores. NFL on other hand, is the richest sports league in the world, in the most culturally relevant country in the world. You cannot compare the NRL to it as the dynamics are completely different. As a result of the cultural significance of America, the NFL is watched all around the world. Furthermore the US has over 10 times the population of Australia. One NFL team could have a fan base that outnumbers the NRL fan base as a whole. So what works in America may not work in Australia. The international level will bring more interest to our game as Australia just doesn’t have the same pulling power as the US. 

2. It’s a big issue to me because firstly, it’s naively being used as vehicle for growth and expansion outside of Australia. This goes back to previous comments about Australia not really having that pulling power in the world. In my opinion, this approach is a waste of time and cop out for insular Aussies. They can point at NRL efforts and say “hey see, we care about growing the game” but in reality, the relevance of the NRL only serves RL well in Australia. Secondly, the NRL takes up most of the season that when it’s time to play tests, all of a sudden burnout becomes an issue thus further neglecting the international game. It’s a balancing act and at the moment, the pendulum is far in the corner of the club RL that internationals will never be fully developed. What we’ve been seeing so far is nothing but a half arsed effort. 

3. Why wouldn’t it attract the casuals? Get a consistent rivalry going and make the games meaningful, and it’ll do a lot more than club RL to get more neutral observers watching RL. 

Yeah, I agree with what your saying in respect to needing to play more internationals and having a concrete calender. But I just don't think it's going to create this worldwide interest you speak of. Back in 2000 to 2011 we actually had a pretty concrete, consistent international schedule. There was always either an Ashes, Tri Nations or Four nations at the end of every year.

Back then it didn't create that much international or casual interest so I'm not sure why your so convinced it would now (or at least to the degree you think).

And yes, of course the NFL is bigger than the AFL but that doesn't mean Aussie Rules/AFL is not extremely successful in it's own right. Its actually the 14th largest domestic competition in the world by revenue ahead of competitions like Major League Soccer, Chinese Football and the English  Football Championship. Only three spots ahead of AFL is F1. I would call that an exceptionally successful sport.

Archived