RIP Billy Thompson

Ex-scrumhalf

Don't know if anyone else has heard but former referee Billy Thompson has passed away at the ag of 87. Older supporters will remember Billy as a no nonsense referee in the Eric Clay mould. However some will say that whenever he officiated at an Oldham game he never ever seemed to do us any favours at all. I clearly recall that when the teams were read out over the tannoy at the end the announcer would say "And todays referee is Mr Billy Thompson" To which there were loud jeers and boos, so he wasn't very well liked at Watersheddings I would suggest. That said I played in a few games refereed by him and always found him very firm but extremely unbiased.

I remember Billy Thompson refereeing at a wet, cold Saddleworth game. Watching the game with Jimmy Reeves he was shouting advice to BT. I warned him to quieten it down a bit because it was BT. He said"  I'll shout as loud as I want" - and he did and got even louder. BT eventually got fed up, stopped the game and came over to Jimmy saying "If you don't shut up I'll throw you into the canal!".

We all shut up.

6 hours ago, jroyales said:

I remember Billy Thompson refereeing at a wet, cold Saddleworth game. Watching the game with Jimmy Reeves he was shouting advice to BT. I warned him to quieten it down a bit because it was BT. He said"  I'll shout as loud as I want" - and he did and got even louder. BT eventually got fed up, stopped the game and came over to Jimmy saying "If you don't shut up I'll throw you into the canal!".

We all shut up.

That really made me laugh but that sounds like Billy to me. Thank for that mate.

Another after dinner story.

The RL wanted Billy to use the yellow card, it hadn't been used yet in the RL.

The game was London against Wigan. Billy being Billy refed the game the way he saw it and waved on some tasty exchanges. At half time members from the RL went into his changing room telling him if he didn't use the yellow card in the second half he wouldn't be refereeing the cup final. He said nothing just steamed inside.

The second half just as the first no real issues, just men playing rugby - then the London winger stiff armed his opposite number. Billy thought "I'll use the card!". Taking his book out he asked the player for his name who replied Hussain M'Barki  Billy said "Don't do it again!" and put his book back into his pocket.

I think he used the card later and refereed the cup final.

Archived