Broncos forfeit Toulouse game

16 minutes ago, Les Tonks Sidestep said:

I have read that the RFL asked to change the status of the Championship but looking at the Gov's website there is no longer a list of exempt 'elite' sporting competitions (probably due to changes in quarantine and bubble rules) but a definition of an 'elite sportsperson' as one who derives a living from sport. PT players are unlikely to come under that. 

I’m not sure the term elite sport in this context has anything to do with being full time professional. My daughter does a bit of sports photography and during the last lockdown went to some fairly low level women’s football with some of the teams amateur but they were able to play because the women’s FA cup was classed as elite sport. 

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, Southern Reiver said:

Not sure that is entirely correct. The RFL did define the Championship and League 1 as Elite sport (though did delay their start in terms of training as a precaution). But it  would imply that both professional and semi-professional players would be covered by the definition of being elite.

You can argue that semi-pro don’t meet the definition as ‘derived living’ but Govt guidance does not make a distinction (or any comment about sports people with outside interests). As an elite sport there would be no distinction sporting wise in the guidance between pro and semi-pro so the policy of 5 day quarantine with PCR test on 5th day applies equally.

The Govt guidance does not cover the economic impact on those with regular jobs and that is a real issue for semi-pro sports people. That is where in setting the position the RFL has created the issue that Broncos are claiming

That's true but I was told at the time  that elite 1 status  for  2020 season  was given to all RL clubs because at the time there was no quarantine involving travel to france that allowed teams to travel to games then straight back home in an organised league but  to stop teams like  FEV lions going on a jolly to france to play a couple of games tour

I was also told later on that this all changed this season and elite 1 was removed from  for the championship and part time players when the government brought in the traffic light quarantine rules 

Archived