On 01/05/2021 at 12:22, Gomersall said:

Seen 3 out of Bay Roskill`s 4 games this year on YouTube. They`re the antithesis of stifling structures - short kick-offs and line dropouts, offloads and wide ball movement from anywhere on the pitch and anytime in the tackle count. 

They clearly want to play like this on principle, win or lose. And they`ve got the skill level to make it work, most of the time.

They`re on ARL TV again this coming Saturday against Glenora. Well worth checking out if you like your RL less risk-averse.

17 hours ago, Gomersall said:

Solid win for the Bears. Enthusiastic crowd and good atmosphere.

One downside is more evidence of how knock-on derangement syndrome is harming the game. The Bay coach was saying how nowadays in NZ, thanks to NRL influence, there`s more risk-taking and expansive play in Union than League.

The divergent attitudes between the codes to knock-ons, forward passes, obstruction, plays a big part in stifling creativity and variety in League. Sometimes now the only way to stop officials seeing things they want to call, is to stick to one-out hit-ups.

8 hours ago, unapologetic pedant said:

Solid win for the Bears. Enthusiastic crowd and good atmosphere.

One downside is more evidence of how knock-on derangement syndrome is harming the game. The Bay coach was saying how nowadays in NZ, thanks to NRL influence, there`s more risk-taking and expansive play in Union than League.

The divergent attitudes between the codes to knock-ons, forward passes, obstruction, plays a big part in stifling creativity and variety in League. Sometimes now the only way to stop officials seeing things they want to call, is to stick to one-out hit-ups.

Tragic

1 hour ago, Gomersall said:

Elsewhere in the round my new faves Bay Roskill won 43-30 away at Howick.

Down 10 points at one stage, they went ahead 31-30 with a field-goal, then took advantage of Hornets` desperation to score two late tries to seal the deal. Never dull this year with the Vikings.

Hoping someone might have some footage to put up on YouTube.

Good to see the Tigers bounce back from last weeks thrashing hang an come away with the win and get some points to avoid relegation. The Northcote Chairwoman said in pre game interview, Tigers have purchased 50% ownership of cricket clubrooms at Birkenhead War Memorial, so there clubrooms are now at there home ground, Kids who want to sign up to play pay no fees and get free boots, Members of Premier team give out player of the day awards to junior players and then big upped the sponsors who no doubt have provided funds to help to do this. Tigers have always been a well run club.

20 hours ago, kiwis 13 6 said:

Good to see the Tigers bounce back from last weeks thrashing hang an come away with the win and get some points to avoid relegation. The Northcote Chairwoman said in pre game interview, Tigers have purchased 50% ownership of cricket clubrooms at Birkenhead War Memorial, so there clubrooms are now at there home ground, Kids who want to sign up to play pay no fees and get free boots, Members of Premier team give out player of the day awards to junior players and then big upped the sponsors who no doubt have provided funds to help to do this. Tigers have always been a well run club.

KiwiTag has been a big success for ARL at Glenfield, East Coast Bays, Hibiscus Coast. Given their proximity, this could be a way for Northcote to get more people involved in the club now they have a more secure base to operate from. Not sure whether the Tag season running concurrently with the cricket season would be a help or a hindrance.

Good to hear that ARL are getting people involved on the North Shore through KiwiTag. I moved up to Auckland from Wellington and played for Northcote under 19's in the mid 90's. Northcote at the time owned club rooms in the Birkenhead shops that operated as a commercial bar. Northcote had 25 teams playing for the club from under 5's to Premier grade. Every grade had player of the day prizes. for kids it was movie tickets, from U19's upwards its was cash prize of $20, Premiers it was $50 for best forward & back and $100 for player of the day. ARL had open weight & weight restricted age grades & under 85KG grade for Adults. Age grade players had to go to Carlaw park with Birth Certificate or valid photo ID and have photo taken by an ARL official to be eligible to register for a team. All this kind thing was pretty much unheard of in Wellington Rugby League in the 90's & 2000's when i was playing.

but this Fox memorial has inspired me to start up Wellington Rugby League thread....

• 2 weeks later...

Auckland Rugby League High School Premier grade Final played last week at Mt Smart. I realize its not part of the Fox Memorial but is another Auckland Rugby League Competition, so rather than start a new thread I thought Id post link here.

On 06/07/2021 at 11:15, kiwis 13 6 said:

Auckland Rugby League High School Premier grade Final played last week at Mt Smart. I realize its not part of the Fox Memorial but is another Auckland Rugby League Competition, so rather than start a new thread I thought Id post link here.

There was also the girls final where AGGS beat Aorere College. Apparently there were 11 teams this year, a significant increase.

In the final, the most naturally talented footballer on the park and probably the main difference between the two teams was Braxton Sorensen-McGee. I don`t know the precise connection, but she`s from the Bill/Dave/Kurt/Dane dynasty.

One of the features of following female RL is the number of relatives you notice of famous male RL players.

Archived